Sign in to follow this  
M_Sauce

Variable Transition Level/Altitude

Been testing out the 748 and loving it, thanks PMDG.

One feature which I wish the 747 and NGX would have is the ability to have the transition Level & Altitude coded in the Airport SID/STAR file. This is how it works in real life, and I think it could be integrated with coordination with Navigraph. Usually the SIDSTARS files have the sections "FIXES" and "ENDFIXES", as well as the typical  "RNWS" "ENDRNWS" and so on with the SIDs, STARs and Approaches. If another section was added with "ALTIMETRY" and "ENDALTIMETRY" and the published Transition level and altitude, the FMC could then be coded to read that data and apply it to the VNAV pages once an airport is programmed in for departure and arrival? Then the selection made through the PMDG control panel could be the default setting in case an airport SIDSTAR file has not been updated with the new data, which would allow Navigraph to update their database over time.

Don't know how complex this is, just thought I would mention it since it would certainly add to the realism and I haven't seen it on any other addon.

1 hour ago, M_Sauce said:

Don't know how complex this is, just thought I would mention it since it would certainly add to the realism and I haven't seen it on any other addon.

I don't expect PMDG to make any modifications to the navdata sidstar formats because I do expect that one of these days or years they will rewrite the FMS code to improve VNAV/LNAV and AFDS performance and accept ARINC 424 navdata format.  This would add significantly to the realism of all their Boeing products.  Maybe this is something they have planned after GFO, I'm just guessing but maybe it will be something that gets started with the NG2 or whatever they call it.

Dan Downs KCRP