Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

Calling FSS and battery life

Hi.

Without preamble, if setting radios & nav gauges or calling ground, clearance or FSS before startup drains your battery and you don't have a registered version of FSUIPC then read on.

I've only just installed RC4 for P3D, having taken months to summon the courage to tackle what ended up being a very simple task as I already had RC installed for FS9. I may, if anyone thinks it would be useful, post a precis of what I did along with some screenshots. That's for later. I wanted to gripe about the almost immediate discharge of my plane's battery while I'm obtaining clearance from FSS at my local airport. I'd noticed some time ago that P3D drains batteries in a couple of seconds -- nowhere near long enough to complete the call when using RC4.

If you don't have a registered version of FSUIPC, which gives an unlimited battery life option, there's an alternative available via the link below. It came from a prepared3d.com forum post

https://www.douglassdawson.ca/

Down at the bottom of the list is a downloadable gauge, dsd_p3d_battery_charger_x64, v2.0, November 3 2018 which simulates an external supply recharging your battery.

I'm still getting to grips with P3D but after dropping the DLL into the gauges folder, I replaced the Carenado PA-34 no 1 engine RPM gauge with this:

[Window03]
Background_color=0,0,0 
size_mm=304,304
window_size_ratio=1.000  
position=0
visible=0
ident=777
window_size= 0.150, 0.200
window_pos= 0.000, 0.810
zorder=0

//gauge00=PA34SEN!RPM Indicator_L,  0,0,304,304
gauge00=dsd_p3d_battery_charger_x64!charger,  0,0,100,48
gauge01=dsd_p3d_battery_charger_x64!meter,  0,49,100,100

... and now my avionics don't discharge the battery so I have plenty of time for dealing with clearance. If I forget to switch the charger on, no matter. The gauge works like jump leads and will after a few minutes recharge a dead battery.

Enjoy.

D

Edited by Dave Morgan