My first flight was in a Lockheed Electra PSA turboprop, my Mom told me her first flight was in a Piper Cub when she was a small girl.  She actually had a slight fear of flying because on her next flight alone, in the 70's, the UAL DC10 Captain came on the horn and said "Welcome to our maiden voyage".  I knew this to be true because seeing her outbound aircraft to Chicago, where we were both born, it was quite shiny and free of exhaust stains.  She told me she stared at every rivet and also did not know the wings flexed in flight, which added to her fear.

My Dad, brothers and I, frequent fliers, laughed and laughed at her story.  My Mom later would not fly after that unless I or my Dad went with her, she asked me to go with her from Phoenix to Oakland when my grandma passed on so we could take care of her affairs.  She used me as free "flight" insurance, lol, knowing I knew how to fly and was never worried in flight, since I always and still have great faith in the flight crew, especially after my brief project helping American Airlines with their US Air crew system merger.

From Oakland my Mom and I had great ground transportation to Napa, Evans Airport Service, and I knew Don Evans well--he was the one who owned our local Napa public transportation coaches when Napa was just starting to expand its bus routes, which eventually after I moved hooked up to the Vallejo/San Francisco ferry.  Napa used to have an electric trolley all the way to San Francisco in the olden' times which went across the Bay Bridge.  Anyway, sharing a bit of Napa nostalgia because this cub flight is from Schellville/Sonoma into Napa County airport.

John

DKlpgjd.png
S5CA55J.png
zbEt56Q.png
toT5ArY.png
hiHNA5P.png
Pyw5d8s.png
ABHSe4J.png
lrIeGMD.png

• Like 1