Sign in to follow this  
FTD1949

Just got the beta, couple issues....

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Spent all the previous night pulling down the beta. Last night when I got home I went ahead and installed it. Two issues though - 1 minor, 1 major...Minor: The Atlanta scenery is still using a model of Turner Field from it's 1996 Olympics configuration! The stadium looks pretty different now. I would have thought they would have updated this considering it hasn't looked that way in TEN YEARS! Funny thing though is that they went and put in the new Acquarium and updated from the old Omni Collusium to the new Phillips Arena.Major:Before I installed I upgraded my video card drivers (pair of NVidia 7900GT's here.. not OC'ed). I had been running something from the 8x.xx series dated June 2006. I went and pulled down the latest version (91.xx) and installed those. After installing the beta and firing it up, as soon as I get into a flight the screen (usually withing 3-4 seconds) goes nuts and turns into a series of flickering diagonal lines and that's it! I've been able to get around the issue by doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL, then when the Window Security Prompt comes up, hitting escape and then P to unpause the sim. Still it's annoying and it seems to happen every once in a while as I am flying (although not in any discernable pattern.) Is this something others have experienced as well? Doesn't seem to matter if I use SLI or not. It didn't happen when I used the older drivers while running the Demo code, so I don't know if it's the new drivers, or the Beta code causing the problem.Otherwise, WOW! Running 1920x1200x32 with AA+AF turned on, it SURE does look pretty, but GOD, the framerates are HORRIBLE when flying around a major city like Atlanta... And my machine is no slouch either.... Athlon64 AM2 4800+X2 with 4GB RAM, 4 300GB Seagate SATA2 7200RPM drives in RAID5, and the pair of 7900GT's. Turning off AA and dropping down to Bilinear filtering picked up the framerates a bunch, but the look definitely degraded, most notibly the water. Might have to drop my screen res down some to get things sped up but keep all the pretty stuff :-)--2002cbr600f4i

Guest allcott

You're too late, FSX is gold. The driver issues have been documented and discussed, and the water issues have been talked about on numerous occasions.You might want to spend some time browsing the forum for any hints and tips that might improve the beta, or else you could just forget about the beta and wait three weeks until FSX is out in a release version, which we already know differs from the beta (and the demo). So there's really little point in tweaking at this stage.In fact, I've dumped the demo because I couldn't see the point in keeping that on the hard drive at all. The full version will be here soon enough. And thats when the learning starts!Allcott

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Yes, I realize the full version is on the way.. I was planning to not bother with the beta, except after reading some info on SimConnect I decided I wanted to try to get a little bit of a head-start experimenting with it. I was just giving the whole thing a try last night to see how it ran and to see how different my home area looked between FS9 and FSX.I just asked about the messed up displays because it'll be frustrating to test any SimConnect client code when the FSX display goes nuts...I wasn't asking for a patch or a fix or anything, just wondering if it was something that I could tweak to get around the problem.I'll be picking up the Deluxe Edition on release day morning. :-)--2002cbr600f4i

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

.... Athlon64 AM2 4800+X2 with 4GB RAM, 4>300GB Seagate SATA2 7200RPM drives in RAID5, and the pair of>7900GT's. Turning off AA and dropping down to Bilinear>filtering picked up the framerates a bunch, but the look>definitely degraded, most notibly the water. Might have to>drop my screen res down some to get things sped up but keep>all the pretty stuff :-)>>--2002cbr600f4iI was looking into getting a system pretty close to yours so I could run FSX. Looks like it won't work. Very discouraging. Smoothness and visuals are important to me. Guess I will be using FS9 for a long while yet, until I can afford something on the bleeding edge of technology. I may just give up simming altogether and save the $2000 I need to devote to being able run FSX for rw lessons.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

>.... Athlon64 AM2 4800+X2 with 4GB RAM, 4>>300GB Seagate SATA2 7200RPM drives in RAID5, and the pair of>>7900GT's. Turning off AA and dropping down to Bilinear>>filtering picked up the framerates a bunch, but the look>>definitely degraded, most notibly the water. Might have to>>drop my screen res down some to get things sped up but keep>>all the pretty stuff :-)>>>>--2002cbr600f4i>>I was looking into getting a system pretty close to yours so I>could run FSX. Looks like it won't work. Very discouraging.>Smoothness and visuals are important to me. Guess I will be>using FS9 for a long while yet, until I can afford something>on the bleeding edge of technology. I may just give up>simming altogether and save the $2000 I need to devote to>being able run FSX for rw lessons. Well, keep in mind the resolution that I'm running at! It's pretty insane and with 256MB graphics cards (even running SLI'ed) most games still have a hard time running at that native res. I'm going to pop down a res or two and see if that helps at all. From what Adam Szofran posted in thread 350873, "Comments about the blurries from an ACES developer", it sounds like lowering the res might help a LOT.Regardless, if you're getting ready to build a new machine, I would HIGHLY recommend you go low/mid end on the CPU+video card right now, and bank the saved $$$ to use to buy a DX-10 video card and better CPU next summer. FSX WILL be playable on something like a 7300 or 7600 right now and a lower end dual core CPU (like a 3800+ X2) just without all the bells + whistles turned on. Just make sure you buy a good MB that can take SLI'ed cards and extra RAM and is either the correct socket for a Conroe or (if you're going AMD) get an AM2 so you can do a drop in replacement on the CPU next summer without needing to buy all new RAM + motherboard and such. I ALWAYS build my machines this way as it allows me to get the most lifespan out of the system by just doing piecemeal upgrades a little at a time. Go low end on the parts that can be replaced easily that make a difference (CPU, video) but go high end on the MB + RAM. Do NOT invest in a Socket 939 system as it's a dead end now.FS-X DOES look pretty right now on DX-9 with everything turned on, but it should look a good bit better with DX-10 next year!--2002cbr600f4i

I've been enjoying the beta and have very few issues with it although I'm certainly not running anywhere near the resolution you are. Just installed an evga 7900 GT KO and runs very well. Also using the 91.47 drivers which are fairly recent. I think it must have something to do with the resolution. CraigASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 Venice 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CD200GB Maxtor SATA 150 8MB Cache80GB Maxtor Ultra ATA 133EVGA 7900 GT KO PCIeSB Audigy 21G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/S