Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have often used the P3D Recording/Playback function to carry out benchmark comparisons between hardware changes and overclocks.

I'd use FRAPS to display FPS and ShadowPlay to make a video of the recorded playback and compare them side by side to see if there was any observable

difference with 2 different Graphics cards for example. However I've just being doing that very thing for the first time in a while and I noticed that the FPS is substantially different while recording than it is during playback. So while I am recording using Record under the analysis tab I see about 30fps compared to 20fps I see during the playback. I am sure that it wasn't this way before.

Comments please.

I'm not 100% sure I understand your issue, but I'll take a stab.

I would use MSI Afterburner with RTSS and log to file ... Fraps is very old and not updated since about 2013 I think.  Never monitor FPS while recording with "ShadowPlay" (or GFE) as that will skew performance results.  Be sure you have P3D Water = High or lower (Ultra will cause issues, something to do with the CUDA libraries).

My suggestion:

P3D, recorded flight without any monitoring

Load RTSS with log to file option enabled

P3D, start playback from your recorded flight

Exit P3D, check your MSI hml file (this is just a CSV file that you can import into Excel or view from MSI viewer)

In Excel (or any spreadsheet like tool that can import CSV/HML), remove the 0 FPS frames from start and end of data rows (these are the frames where playback was not actually happening yet) ... if done correctly you should have about the same row (frame) count in each test run.  From here you can simply average the monitored data or you can count long frames (my threshold for long frames is 60ms).

NOTE: if you operate with multiple views/windows (for a surround cockpit setup) then RTSS might not be reliable for FPS and timeframe logging ... P3D's internal FPS counter is actually most accurate in all cases.

Cheers, Rob.