Sign in to follow this  
jfayre

ideas for remote FMC for blind flight simmers

Hi all,

I know this message is off-topic for this forum, but I figure that this community might be uniquely able to help with what I'm looking for.

I'm totally blind, and have been interested in flight simming for several years now. I currently use a variety of add-ons to assist me in flying the aircraft with Prepar3d or fSX. These include FS Tramp, fSX Pilot, GSX, etc.

I'm developing an accessibility layer for prepar3d and FSX called Talking Flight Monitor. This add-on provides audio and speech feedback for several aircraft systems. The project can be found on github at:

http://www.github.com/jfayre/talking-flight-monitor

One very persistent problem we have is the lack of access to the aircraft FMC. So, here's my question.

Is anyone aware of any aircraft for FSX or P3D that has an FMC that can be remotely interfaced with? Specifically, something that can output it's data, text, etc. to external software?

I did find a package called, I think, remote CDU. The trouble is that it placed the FMC in a web browser as a grapic with clickable elements, no actual text at all. So, using it with screen reading software was useless.

I know the Aerosoft airbus has a web based FMC, but I don't think you can perform all the functions with a web browser. I also don't know if it is accessible, since I'm reluctant to purchase the product if I don't know if it will work.

Do any of the aircraft have an SDK that gives access to this type of info?

Right now, we're pretty much using only free aircraft, since the FMC isn't really required to fly most of those.

Any creative ideas apreciated!

The Captain Sim Boeing 777 has an android and apple mobile phone app which runs the FMC on your phone. It remotely connects to the flight sim airliner, so presumably it is putting the FMC data out there in order to do that.

Here is the link to the page concerning that on the captain sim website:

https://captainsim.net/products/y777/y775/

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Thanks for that! I did install the app and it doesn't appear to conform to Apple's accessibility guidelines, unfortunately. 

Maybe this is just one of those unsolveable problems. I don't expect Captain sim would give me access to their API, but I suppose it never hurts to ask.