Sign in to follow this  
Sarge27

Cool things to do with FSX

The more I play with FSX, the more amazed I am. I have to consider the possibility that FSX was designed to allow an expansion to space flight. I got in my trusty Lear and began a slew up to 2.5 million ft.(and yes, you can go higher). Holding my course of 360, I began a forward slew at max speed of 40000 kts. Soon after passing over Alaska (climbing through about 500k ft.), I saw and crossed the line between night and day. (I think Terminus is the correct word?)The sun was behind me and setting. (It shines bright and yellow, but without all the extra glare in space.) I watched the sun set and the moon rise. Looking down looks just like any picture you've ever seen from orbit. I crossed the north pole and held course, now on 180 degrees. Nice and dark now. Looking up in outside spot view, I could plainly see the Milky Way. After travelling most of the way to the south pole, I decided to try a descent, but WITHOUT the slew.(seemed like a natural thing to do. I began falling almost immediately and went to virtual cockpit. Here's the cool part, I was kind of floating around in my seat, just like I would expect to do in zero G when loosely seatbelted in. As my descent continued, the aircraft began to pitch and roll much more violently. Returning to the VC, I was at times pinned against the ceiling, and at other times getting trown around as much as possible within the confines of my virtual seatbelt. Once I got down to thicker air, around 125k ft., I terminated the flight because I kept "bouncing higher" and couldn't get down low enough to get control.They have built the physics into FSX for at least orbital flight, it would seem. Now we just need a rocket motor and thrusters, and we may have a whole new frontier in front of us! I took a couple of screenies,and I'll try to post them in the Screenshot forum.

Guest 2002cbr600f4i

Ok, now THAT is cool!Anyone want to take bets on how long it'll be before somebody creates a "Space Ship One/White Knight" mission??? Or an X-15 test flight mission.Can't wait!!!--2002cbr600f4i