Sign in to follow this  
Guest thscholz

LOWW - Dangerous?

I just flew another approach into LOWW with 'real' ASV weather. The conditions at LOWW (Vienna-Schwechat) seem to always be extremly bad with visibilites down to almost 0 feet.As a good pilot, I flew the approach according to the plates with an MDA of 797', which is pretty much a joke with constant visibilities of 200' or less. I have also noticed from the plates that LOWW seems only to be ILS CatI certified, so any CAT II/III approach is pretty much out of the question.Yet to avoid being in a hold and to burn all my remaining fuel to wait for the weather to clear up didn't cut it really either. So, I did a CatIII landing and for a minute I thought my scenery has gone belly up upon landing, because all I could see what WHITE. It took me awhile to figure out that this was the fog reflecting from the landing lights. Talking about scary!So, is LOWW really that bad and, if it is, why isn't it CatIII certified. This would be a prime example for CatIII certification.Cheers.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As far as I know, runway 16/34 is CAT II certified.BTW, it's funny. A week ago or so I landed on runway 16 with bad visibility as well and had the same thing happen to me: I couldn't see anything until I realized that I was 'blinded' by the landing lights.CheersThomas