Sign in to follow this  
LesOReilly

3rd Party Software for MCP and EFIS Support

Initial Post - Aug 8, 2020

Last night I got to spend a few hours we the Alpha build of Spad.NEXT that supports the VA 737 MCP and currently Limited Support of the EFIS.

What does we have as of this posting --

Works with:

P3Dv4.5 and v5 (Dev has v5 I do not as I don't care and am waiting on MSFS before considering it).

XPlane 11 (Dev tested as well....though everything in SPAD.NEXT works with both just you have to do different things with the different sims.  I don't do XPlane so maybe others can xplane haha how Datarefs and commands .txt files work)

The New Sim Coming soon (yes it is going to be supported review the forums about the amount of info allowed.  Due to the NDA it is limited to a confirmation that it will work.  If you are in the MSFS Alpha/Beta program then there are instructions of how to join a sub group to gain access before the release.)

NOTE -- If you do not know what SPAD.NEXT the quick summary is that it is a Hardware to Software "Mapping" device that supports All of the Saitek products, Generic USB controllers, Arduino, LED Driver controllers, Go Flight panels and much much more.  There is so much easy to use Conditions and device data mapping.  IT allows you to create your own profiles on an Aircraft by Aircraft basis.  There are also community Profiles for entire systems but also lots of individual devices that are published to the online server that allows you to pull down to use.  You can even access individual Switch programming from a published Profile or Device.

This is all done in a GUI....Feel free to have a look at my YouTube videos (not an intentional shameless plug....sorry) on programming the PMDG 777 with SPAD.NEXT and some Saitek panels.  I will be adding a video soon about using the VA MCP and EFIS.

Current State:

MCP (Dev also owns this product)

Nice GUI Image to select the buttons / Switches and Displays to assign the functions you want (again on a plane by plane basis.....I hated that the hard coded 777 ALT INTV button was mapped to the VS/FPA button....that was so stupid since the need in the 777 to constantly press the knob which is the equivalent of that button to change altitudes....So big win here!!).  No longer are you restricted to having to use GENERIC profile with any of the few other Add On AC....

What is working.....Well good news easier to say what is still being addressed.

1 - Heading Bank Limiter Switch (not yet implemented...)

2 - VS Display (quirky issue currently where the VS Display will be out of Sync with the actual Data....Being Worked on)

3 - Adjustable Back light (Not sure if this is supported or intended to be.  Currently it will just always have the back light on)

I have the PMDG 777 Done and did a couple of flights to test it out.  Worked like a dream.....Now to actually capture a video and walk through setting it up.  I will also publish the "DEVICE" at that time...again you can do individual devices and Full Profiles.

EFIS (Dev DOES NOT own this product)

A little bit more back and forth is needed with that as he has to essentially "remote" debug it through my log file reports.  Though should not be a big issue.

Currently it reports it's self and is using similar command structures as the MCP so visual Spad.Next is displaying a second MCP but it is labeled as the EFIS....Buttons and Knobs map to other weird Buttons and knobs...

I was able to get the BARO Knob programmed as Spad.Next (SN from now on) thinks this is the CRS 2 Knob.  The InHG/HPA switch reports as what is essentially a push button (ALT INTV or something) which results in not being able to assign this like a switch.  The Minimums Switch shows up as the FD L switch so that is able to be programmed like a switch Then the Encoder is also able to be mapped to the "VS Wheel" and works correctly.

All of most the other buttons and switches map to Buttons on the MCP.....Again this will just need to be addressed with a couple more Alpha Drops to confirm it is reporting correctly and then at that time I will be able to publish an appropriate Device for the EFIS and PMDG 777.  After that I will we working on the Aerosoft CRJ and the majestic Q.....plus all my other Carenado "slim" products.

I will update this post as I have more to share..

Les

Oh Link to the Videos I did on Homebuilt GNS 530, Carenado C208, PMDG and SPAD.NEXT.  Again I will update this playlist with the VA MCP Stuff once I can get to it some time in the next day or two.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Les O'Reilly

Wow, that are great news mate.

So the latest SPAD version supports the MCP? Or is it not available for download yet?

13 hours ago, r0xbeat said:

Wow, that are great news mate.

So the latest SPAD version supports the MCP? Or is it not available for download yet?

If you have a License -- FSX/P3D/MS2020 Edition, XPLane Edition or the Complete Edition (everything....plus add ons) AND you are not expired then you can chose to auto update to either the BETA Channel, ALPHA Channel or Release Channel.

Currently this is in the Alpha Channel.  And Currently the Alpha Channel only update over the Beta Channel was this 🙂  Might have FlightGear Sim Support soon as well.....

I will try to make a flight video this evening showing the use of it with the PMDG 777 now that I have the MCP all dialed in.....Was going to wait for more EFIS support but I can update that video again later.

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly

11 hours ago, r0xbeat said:

Ok, thanks, thats great.

Will get the License then.

oh -- just looked at your location -- good news is that the Developer is German 🙂 and supports the product in both English and German...Don't forget to Join the discord group.

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly

Okay sorry took a few days longer to get it done and edited.....kind of got busy with flying the sim since It was working so well again 🙂

Here is a video on configuring it for the PMDG 777 using Spad.Next.

Also that Device has been published to the online profiles so that you can just use the config as I show it done in this video.....

Hope those that have the MCP and EFIS will also be happy like me to be able to use this now with all simulators and all aircraft since you can map it yourself now and no longer need to try to get support from Virtual Avionics.

Oh and I have no association with Spad.Next other than being a customer of the product who asks for a lot of features 🙂

• Like 2

Les O'Reilly