Sign in to follow this  
Stearman

New to LNM, weird experience

Hi, I'm not interested in flight planning, import/export data, etc. I just want a moving map to track my flights in MSFS, given that the included in-game VFR map is very poor, and thought that LNM could do the work.

Consequently, yesterday I downloaded, installed and ran LNM 2.6.2 beta, disabled use of Navigraph data (I don't even know what this is), loaded MSFS Scenery Library and fired up MSFS.

Apparently it worked perfect, my flight was perfectly tracked on the map and there was no noticeable impact in FPS (should I expect any?).

However, I suddenly noticed almost all of the trees had disappeared from the scenery, along with some other features (e.g. some generic bridges). I tried restoring all my graphic settings to my recommended values (high-end) to no avail. The scenery kept that way from then on, whether LNM was active or not.

Only after a few hours of trial & error, I discovered a solution: restoring all values in Options-General-Data to default, all the missing trees and features came back to normal.

Does this make sense to you?

Any hints highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, best regards.

19 minutes ago, Stearman said:

I don't even know what this is

https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/NAVDATA.html

https://navigraph.com LNM comes with an older navdatabase courtesy of Navigraph.

21 minutes ago, Stearman said:

map and there was no noticeable impact in FPS (should I expect any?)

No. There should be no impact. LNM consumes maybe around five percent CPU at most and this does not matter anyway since everybody has enough cores around nowadays.

About the messed up graphic settings in MSFS: I doubt LNM has any influence on this. It accesses the MSFS folders in read-only mode and can hardly cause trouble there.
Of course it can always happen that an additional application is the drop that cause the barrel (GPU/main memory, whatever) to overflow.

But LNM for sure does not alter MSFS settings or files.

Alex

1 hour ago, albar965 said:

I doubt LNM has any influence on this. It accesses the MSFS folders in read-only mode and can hardly cause trouble there.

.../...

But LNM for sure does not alter MSFS settings or files.

Thanks for the quick reply and for making that clear.

Since installing LNM is just a matter of unzipping files in a folder of choice, I assume it doesn't modifiy Windows registry at all, does it?

Anyhow, I'd like to know which additional folders or individual files (if any) are created by LNM on the local disk, when operating.

Thanks in advance, best regards.

31 minutes ago, Stearman said:

I assume it doesn't modifiy Windows registry at all, does it?

No. LNM does not create any registry entries.

The files and folders is uses are explained here: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.6/en/FILES.html#files

This is the log-file C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\abarthel-little_navmap.log, the disk cache for the online maps C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\.marble, and the settings and database folder C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel .

Alex