Sign in to follow this  
atr_42_500

Please help on updating PC

Hello,

I would really appreciate for your suggestion on updating my PC.

I use P3DV4.5, addon planes (Aerosoft 32x/PMDG 737), addon airports, ORBX products, Active Sky, TrackIR, ChasePlane.

On my current rig I get decent performance. I run it at 25060x 1440 x32 on a non 32 inch non HD display, Win 10.

However I noticed the CPU usage is almost always going to the max and I think I need un upgrade. I’m aiming at getting a boost of 5-10 FPS and a smoother overall experience (I get around 7-19 FPS at addon airports and occasional stuttering).

Here I my current specs ( it’s an ASUS already-built system ROG G30AK-RO020D):

Motherboard G30AK, processor i7-4790K 4.00GHz, nVidia GeForce GTX 960 2GB,  RAM 16GB DDR3, 1TB SSD.

I am thinking that I should get a better processor. Can you give me some suggestions? I’m really not able to make a choice.

I was thinking to invest a max of round 500 EUR/600 USD.

Thanks of any tips!

Cheers,

Mircea

Edited by atr_42_500

You already have the fastest CPU that's available for that platform. Since you have a 'K' CPU, I'd recommend overclocking that CPU. IT's running now at 4.00Ghz, you might be able to squeeze 4.5 or even 4.7 out of it. You might need a better CPU cooler though, and perhaps check whether your case can get rid of the extra heat fast enough

Overclocking will cost you nothing except a better CPU cooler, time, patience, stress, more time and some sweat. No blood is (usually) involved though*.

*disclaimer: your milage may vary and if you go too far you could destroy your CPU.

Edited by orchestra_nl
disclaimer

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

7 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

You already have the fastest CPU that's available for that platform. Since you have a 'K' CPU, I'd recommend overclocking that CPU. IT's running now at 4.00Ghz, you might be able to squeeze 4.5 or even 4.7 out of it. You might need a better CPU cooler though, and perhaps check whether your case can get rid of the extra heat fast enough

Overclocking will cost you nothing except a better CPU cooler, time, patience, stress, more time and some sweat. No blood is (usually) involved though*.

*disclaimer: your milage may vary and if you go too far you could destroy your CPU.

Thank you very much for the kind reply. You figured out right: Overclocking creeps me out since I have no knowledge or understanding of the implications 😱. However, the PC have already a built-in switch that triggers OC. Unhappily I see no visible improvement while using it.

Better cooling is a good idea, I have to see if it can be fit on the current case (if changed I will loose the OC switch).

I was also considering adding some more RAM.

Cheers,

Mircea  

2 hours ago, atr_42_500 said:

However, the PC have already a built-in switch that triggers OC.

With OC switch, do you mean the CPU's native turbo speed to 4.4Mhz or is it something specific for your Asus PC?
I'd recommend keeping an eye on the cpu speed while flying to find out at what frequency your CPU is running, and how many cores are actually being used.

If you already have 16GB of RAM I doubt it will help much to add more. Using more than 2 ram modules might even hurt performance a little bit, but it's usually not noticble, Replacing the RAM with faster modules might help more but it is an investment I would not recommend for an older system. Your system might not be able to make use of the faster RAM anyway.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Thanks, again, Allard. 

It's a built-in switch of the PC that the builder says boost up to 4.5 GHz. I will check out your monitoring suggestion, but for now I have to get that  switch functionning again after I have installed Win10.

Cheers,

Mircea

I have the same CPU -- you may want to consider getting a used 1080ti. See specs below. Works fine at 4k.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

Thanks for the reply, pgde, I check out, I can fund some used 1080ti at a decent price.

The think, though, is that I have read that P3D performance relies more on the speed of the processor. I franky have no idea what’s best to update on my PC.

Cheers

Edited by atr_42_500