Sign in to follow this  
patrikmore

Landing the Beechjet

Hi everybody,

I'm sharing here my way of landing the Beechjet, without ILS or NAV (too easy), just in case somebody gives me one more tip to consider.

On pattern around the airport, speed is at 200 knots more or less. When turning base leg or just before, (5 miles from the airport), gear down and flap two thirds. I'm able to put the runway in front of me (at a distance) by comparing green arrow CDI (value of CDI is runway number plus a zero) and red arrow (some NDB I know, selected before takeoff).

On final, autothrottle 120 knots (autopilot), and flaps 2/3. I focus on aiming the runway. Not so easy at all, especially on the last stretch. I add another notch of flap (3/3) half way on final (this is added security to avoid stall when disconnecting autopilot). I maintain this setting till the last moment, when I am on the runway threshold, to avoid stall when reaching the runway, being too short.

I apply some vertical speed on autopilot, this adds stability, but it's not accurate enough, so there is a moment I have to disconnect it. I realized I obtained better landings flying very very low in the last stretch.

On runway threshold I disconnect autopilot and apply speedbrakes (I programmed S key to do both). I focus on not to be left or right, off the runway. I keep an eye on trim to be neutral. I keep an eye on throttle to be 60%. Speedbrakes setting subtracts power at the last moment and avoids the plane to float above the runway. Nose slightly up for the center wheels to touch the ground first.

When on the ground comes the easy part. After throttle to minimum, activate reverse thrusts (I programmed tab key for doing that), and throttle again, to maximum.

Before landing the Beechjet, following the steps described before, it was for me a risky business. I have to say that landing all the others small planes is very very easy.

Hi, it's lonely here! I must be the only person in the planet playing Flight Unlimited III.

Today is a great day. Following my experience with the Beechejet, TODAY I MANAGED TO LAND THE ANSGAR AVERMEYER BOEING 747. Doing a traffic pattern almost perfect, of course with radio communication. At Sanderson! That is to say without automatic approach APR and without proper runway.

To taxi I had to be careful to avoid control tower! 747 is so large!

To take off at full engine and flaps 20 the runway was used in its entirety!

I locked speed at 160 kias and flaps at 25. (AT 30 THE GAME CRASHES TO DESKTOP when you change view from IFR to VFR). To land I didn't used vertical speed. I went down to height 500 with autopilot. Juste before landing, less than 1 nm, as in the beechjet, Autopilot off and speedbrake on at the same time. Autoreverse and gear brake as usual.

Edited by patrikmore