Sign in to follow this  
ultradianguy

Crashes when making changes after importing plan

Hi - I've got LittleNavMap set up and basically working well, so far with FSX, and later will do FS2020. I'm using the most recent version - just downloaded a couple days ago.   I was able to create a flight plan, export it in FSX format, and import it into FSX.  As I understand it, LNM determines the actual aircraft from the SIM, after you actually start the flight  I did this in FSX and indeed the aircraft showed up in LNM.  So far so good.

At that point, I ran into problems with a couple of changes. I made a change to the flight plan in LNM, and exported it again and tried to re-import into FSX.  Somewhere along the way after this, I got some kind of corruption and both programs started crashing - FSX would crash everytime I tried to open a flightplan for import.  I don't remember exactly when LNM crashed.  But I ended up deleting the flight, the flightplan, rebooting, and resetting everything in LNM and starting over.  That cleared up the crashing.

I also ran into similar problems when trying to change the aircraft in FSX while LNM was connected to the sim.

So my question in general is - to what extent can you modify either the flight or the flight plan in either FSX of LNM, once you've exported it, imported into FSX and created the flight.  It seems that this causes problems even if I'm not actually flying yet.  

Does this need to be a one time export, and then from then on, I must stick with FSX for anything I want to change? 

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by ultradianguy
Clarified Topic Title and version

Do you have the plan still around? In the Window trash bin probably? I'd like to reproduce the crashes.

There is always something lost when saving and reloading FSX PLN files (stuff like procedures). That's why I added the new LNMPLN format which can save all features without data loss.

But in general LNM should never ever crash no matter what plan you load. I consider it a bug if it does.
FSX is also normally very tolerant when it comes to flight plans and digests almost everything (opposed to MSFS 🙄).

Did you probably enable one of the "File" -> "Export Options"?

Alex

Hi Alex - Thanks for the quick reply!

I restored the files but I don't see a way to send an attachment here.

Most of the crashes were FSX, and happened when I tried to load a flight plan - the moment when the Open file dialog started to appear is when it crashed.

I hadn't enabled any of the export options - I was saving in your LNMPLN format and then exporting to FSX.

Oh - I forgot to mention a couple things - I'm running FSX under Steam (could not get my original DVDs to install under Windows 10 64bit).

Also - at some point, when I tried to export and overwrite a flight plan i had imported into FSX and was running - something in steam got corrupted and I had to reset a few things there. 

Could you comment on the issue of making changes once a plan is exported, imported and LNM has connected to the sim for that flight?  I have a feeling that something I did was overwriting something that was still in use by FSX. 

Michael

11 hours ago, ultradianguy said:

Most of the crashes were FSX, and happened when I tried to load a flight plan - the moment when the Open file dialog started to appear is when it crashed.

But then the crashes have nothing to do with the plan. It is not loaded yet when the file dialog appears.

I hadn't enabled any of the export options - I was saving in your LNMPLN format and then exporting to FSX.

Good.

Oh - I forgot to mention a couple things - I'm running FSX under Steam (could not get my original DVDs to install under Windows 10 64bit).

Should not make a difference. FSX steam is the same as FSX Acceleration.

Could you comment on the issue of making changes once a plan is exported, imported and LNM has connected to the sim for that flight?  I have a feeling that something I did was overwriting something that was still in use by FSX. 

Programs normally keep files locked on Windows when using them. Means you cannot overwrite used files with another program. Not sure about FSX.
If the simulator crashes when changing a used plan: Change the export options in the multiexport dialog to show a file dialog. There you can change the filename manually.

You can send me the files by email. Contact on my page.

Alex