Sign in to follow this  
oeker

Carenado Mooney ILS approach tips.

I am not able to find documentation on annunciator panel and how it is linked to approach modes.

But previous experience in other aircraft, it was not very difficult to figure out how it works. There are a few YouTube tutorials, but I do not find them very good.

My short guide is not intended for experienced pilots - explaining STAR and transition.. 

But hope this will shave off some of the learning curve if you are new to this aircraft (as I was a few flight hours ago)

The Garmin GN530 free update is highly recommended. (saved me hours of frustration). And you need approach /(LS) plates .  Purchase outdated from Simplates.

You pick a few data from the approach map .(Called ILS in Simplates). - Write them down on a piece of paper.

1 Find the IAF. This is the  point where you enter the ILS. This is  a 3 to 5 letter word.

2. Altitude at IAF

3. Heading inbound runway

4. ILS frequency.  (Look for lower part of a frequency - range 109 to 111).

Example KMIA (Miami) Rwy 08R

1. KROME - (IAF)

2. Altitude 3000

3. Heading 092

4. 110.3   frequency

Next - build your Flightplan . It is important that IAF is the last waypoint before airport . Example above:   KROME ----  KMIA.

As a beginner, prepare the approach prior to takeoff.  

1. Enter ILS frequency on both radios. The rightmost will display DME at some point. A nice hint close to airport

2. Turn nav1 HSI course needle and OBS nav2 to correct ILS heading. Maybe not necessary, but it will give a mental picture of what is happening prior to ILS capture. Also set hdg bug near the approach hdg. If something goes wrong, hit HDG mode, and you easily adjust as necessary. With experience, you will certainly always use last minute HDG for a smooth ILS capture.

- Flying -  Important : you must be at correct IAF altitude well ahead of IAF.  I prefer to use the little rocker switch l/h side for a smooth descend. Remember to engage Alt hold at correct altitude.

When aircraft turns towards rwy heading - select  VLOC (radio nav mode). Important! Check annunciator panel reads ARM. !!!  If not - something is wrong.

When localizer close in to center - Check that mode switches automatically from ARM to ACTIV.  Now ILS is captured. No need to disconnect ALT hold manually. It will capture and follow GS automatically..

Tip: Do not extend landing gear while flying into GS. It may give some pitch and speed adjustment.  Wait for GS capture and aircraft start to descend.

Disconnect AP at 3 - 4 nm DME. This give you time to pitch trim for 85 knots speed. Adjust throttle for sink rate. Do not chase GS needle at this point. Focus on VASI lights.

Almost forgot to mention a white APR annunciator. I am not sure when it comes on, and purpose...

Link to Simplates

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/simplates/

Edited by oeker
  • Like 1