Sign in to follow this  
CLE_AA-5B_GrummanTiger

Learning about back course

I've reached a point where I feel pretty comfortable using autopilot functions in the G1000 and G3000 in MSFS. Now, I'd like to learn a bit about back course. I understand this in that it is used at airports that have only one localizer and it happens to be at the end of the runway I'd be landing on, correct?

A flight I'm in the middle of planning is from KSEA to KBOI in a G36, which uses the G1000. Assuming RWY10R at KBOI will be the active landing runway, I can see that the localizer is located at the back end of the runway and the telltale missed approach turnoff is *before* the runway as seen here: https://flightaware.com/resources/airport/BOI/IAP/ILS+Y+OR+LOC+Y+RWY+10R/pdf

(I'm still trying to figure out how to determine active runways in the flight planning stage, or is that something I find out on approach and plug it into the Garmin?)

So, on approach, is this when I just simply hit the APP and BC buttons on the autopilot or do I need to do more than that? Or do I need to hit those two buttons in a certain order?

Thanks in advance for educating this beginner!