Sign in to follow this  
Virtualwombat

Force Feedback???

Guest Dr. Bogger

Ok, i was wondering about the force feedback option in fsx and fs9, if i get a joystick that has force feedback, i was wondering, like in a realworld plane, like the cessna, if there is actual pressure on the joystick, when using the trim wheel?For example, in a real world plane, you use the trim wheel to release pressure on the yoke... i was wondering if this worked the same way in flight sim when using force feedback?Could someone please shed some light for me?

Yes, there is resistance in the controls of a GA plane and much of the load can be trimmed out. However, force feedback is modeled imperfectly in FS9/FSX. FSForce, a 3rd party add-on, is much better but in my experience there is a significant penalty in frame rates resulting from the use of either the default FS9/FSX or FSForce force feedback. On my system I have regretfully disabled force feedback because I prefer to spend the frames elsewhere.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest TheAmbler

An FSX version of FsForce appears to be due out in a few weeks.

Guest SPOFF

As in real world flying, if the SIM plane is not trimmed correctly there will be "pressure" felt in the yoke or stick. In the sim, with Force Feedback, if you are not trimmed, and you let go of the stick, the plane will start to dive or climb in response to the "Out of Trim" condition. Properly trimmed, you can let go of the stick and the plane will almost fly itself. Just like REAL.I addition, when doing banks and turns with "Force Feedback", the "resistance" (in the stick) to your efforts to Bank/Turn will be proportional to the size and weight of the plane. An airliner will NOT respond as quickly/easily as a J-3 Cub...Just as in Real Life. The airliner will FEEL comparitivly "Heavy" and Cumbersome. This will be felt through the Force Feedback stick. SPOFFPS: I have a Microsoft "Force Feedback 2" stick which I really like, but is no longer available. There are NO SPRINGS in this stick which other Manufacturers use to "replicate" force resistance.

I was a beta tester on the FS9 version of FS-Force, and have been testing the FSX version as well. I have had no frame rate penalty to speak of when using it. I'm not saying it doesn't happen on your system, but it's not universal.

As a side note, this is exactly how the trimming off of forces works when using the FSForce addon. I've got a Sidewinder II FFB that I use for flying stick-controlled aircraft. You can feel the forces trimming away as you adjust them, and once everything is in balance you can let go of the stick and let the plane virtually fly itself. It's quite a different feeling from the default FS FFB, and much more realistic. Obviously it's not perfect, but for a computer-based sim I find it very satisfying.

Guest Dr. Bogger

I would get it, but the only problem is its too expensive... $40 for a addon is realy pushing, and its $40 i dont have...

Hi Bill, Don't get me wrong. I really like FSForce. Terrific modelling of control surface forces. But I get noticeable stutters whenever it is installed. I'm hoping to give it another try after I've upgraded my system. Maybe it won't be a problem on a more capable system.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals