Sign in to follow this  
Ramasurinen

FS X & Directories (Help I'm a Mac User)

Guest daveIT

First off, I've been a Mac user for a long time. Thanks to Apple's Bootcamp Program I now have XP and FS X running on my computer. OK, on to my long-winded dilema.XP is installed on the G: drive partition and I had FS X installed on that partition as well. I read a bunch about sticking FS X on it's own partition, so I uninstalled and reinstalled FS X on my C: partition. (I know that's a bit strange since C: is usually the default for Windows.) It does load scenery faster than my original install.I purchased the new Beaver X from Aerosoft and it installed fine when I had FS X on the G: drive, however when I try to install it now it is trying to install files to FSX folders inside my Documents and Settings folders on the G drive.Here is a paste from the Aerosoft install:"Microsoft Flight Simulator X C:FSX Beaver X C:FSXAerosoftBeaver XApplicationData User (FSX.cfg/dll.xml): G:Documents and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftFSXApplicationData All Users (Scenery.cfg): G:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXApplicationData Flights: G:Documents and SettingsusernameMy DocumentsFlight Simulator X Files"The installer says that it was sucessfully installed, but when I look at the C: drive there is no AerosoftBeaver X folder created. The scenery files on the G: drive are there. Needless to say the plane doesn't show up in FS X.Is there some way to move the affected folders onto my C: drive? I've been away from Windows to long and don't want to mess anything up too drastically. Thanks for any insight you can provide.By the way this is a very sweet plane is anyone was thinking of getting it. It was $18 from Aerosoft's online store. Now, if I can only get it working again!!

At first glance it looks like it installed it correctly. Your windows and user folders are on G:, and for those few files, that's where they need to go, into your docs&settings/username/app data/microsoft/fsx folder. The general beaver addon stuff, like manuals etc, is probably in your FSX/aerosoft/beaver x folder as it says, but the actual guts of the plane, models, textures etc, *should* be in your C:/FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes folder. Double check that there are new beaver folders in there and that the folders contain aircraft.cfg files. Sort your simobjects/airplanes folder by "modified" and any new additions will be at the bottom of the list and easy to find.If that's all there, hop back into fsx, and maybe take a look carefully through your aircraft list, making sure to select "show all variants". Many a time I've been briefly confused by an addon aircraft because it didn't put it in the "manufacturer" category I was expecting. Provided those files are in the simobjects/airplanes folder, It's likely under De Havilland or Aerosoft.If they aren't there, maybe check the C:/FSX/Aerosoft/Beaver X folder for them. If you find them there you might have to add an extra simobjects path to your FSX.cfg file, or move them to the simobjects/airplanes folder. I don't have this plane, nor have I ever tried to use windows on a mac, or a mac at all for that matter since 1988 (their interface "logic" make me irrationally angry haha) so I'm not 100% sure where the problem might lie. One last thing to check is to open up that DLL.XML file in your app data folder for your user account. There might be an entry in there for a new DLL file added by the beaver install, probably to give you an "aerosoft" menu in FSX. Do you have any new menu options when flying in FSX, regardless of aircraft selected?Hope that's of some help. Good luck mate.Cheers.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest daveIT

Odd...although I tried restarting multiple times while I was trying to install yesterday I kept getting the same result. I shut the computer off and decided to try again today and it installed just fine. When it was "installing" before the install went real quick (maybe 2 seconds) and it said it was successful. However, today after running the installer again it went through and processed the files one at a time (took about 30 secs). I looked in the directories and there it was. I'm not sure if the shutdown knocked something loose or what...but I don't care now because I have the beloved Beaver again. The FSX one was nice, but I like the ski/tundra/amphib options available with the Aerosoft one.Thanks for the reply!

I didn't have the Otter in FS9, I did just pick it up for FSX, and I asked myself why did I wait so long to get it. Aerosoft certainly did a great job on the little Beaver!! (Did I really say little?) lol[hr width=100%" size=1 color="black]http://forefrontgrp.com/MyLogo2.JPGJason | General Aviation Fan