Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Lear 45 barber pole?

Hi all,recently, I tried the FSX Learjet (as I usually don't use it, I'm more interested in flying the big planes) and discovered two things:1. The CRT airspeed indicator lacks a barber pole.2. There is a barber pole on the backup airspeed indicator that shows a speed limit of mach 0.75.To avoid overstressing of the aircraft, I set the autothrottle to about mach 0.73. But when I suddenly got into an area with strong headwinds, my mach indicator jumped to something about 0.84, setting off an overspeed alarm. The more surprised I was when the alarm silenced when my airspeed dropped below 0.82, though, on my backup airspeed indicator, that was way within the red/white striped area.Is this just one of FSX' many bugs or is there a reason why the indicator shows a maximum speed 0.07 mach below the actual max speed?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

We have found these numbers in the aircraft.cfg file control the overspeed warning and timer of 60 seconds overspeed before the aircraft is overstressed and crashes. Not the gauges.They are in the reference_speeds sectionmax_mach = 0.81max_indicated_speed = 330 //Red line (KIAS)Those numbers are from the FSX Lear 45. They are also the numbers in the reference file which the kneeboard displays in FSX.That behavior was changable in FS2004. I have not tested it in FSX.Note that the overspeed '60 seconds' timer is for being barely in overspeed. Jumping up to mach .91 would give your about 6 seconds before the aircraft crashed due to overstress. Again - the FS2004 behavior, haven't tested it in FSX.Dropping below .82 mach and stopping the overspeed would be the behavior I would expect to see.The Bombardier website list the Lear 45 maximum airspeed as Mach 0.81.I do not know if the real world Lear 45 has a backup airspeed gauge which is purposely has a lower than max barber pole.One of the Gulfsteam pilots for the company I work used to fly Lear 45's for Flexjet. I'll drop her an e-mail and ask.In the past she has said the Lear 45 cockpit in FS2004 and FSX is "very well done - a very good representation"