Sign in to follow this  
Guest BobKK

VFR scenery: anything coming up?

Guest hellogoodbye

I've just installed and flown above Horizon's VFR Gen X scenery demo. On my brand new computer with a 22" widescreen it looks very nice indeed! What's also very nice is that fps is smooth as silk with ALL option ultrahigh! (As soon as I reach a section where normal FS X scenery pops up, fps drops to very deep lows... Not that strange, of course, because the VFR demo doesn't have any autogen and 3D stuff).I fly with the ultralight and thanks to my new Track IR Pro it's a mighty fine experience! Looking around has never been easier nor more fun! It's even so mighty fine that I'm thinking about buying the complete VFR set. The idea of flying above such a HUGE high res VFR scenery with mindblowing fps is very appealing! ;)But... I wonder if there is anything else coming up on the photorealistic VFR department... I don't want to buy this set and hear about the complete USA getting the same treatment tomorrow for half the price (just an example... ;) ).Anyone knows what's cooking in VFR photorealistic scenery heaven?Also, does anyone know what will happen with my smooth fps as soon as the Gen X scenery gets updated with 'real' water, 3D objects and so on...? And (last question) will SP1 have any effects on the Gen X scenery...?

Guest cwright

As you've seen, the combination of photo-real scenery and high resolution (1.2 meter) is pretty amazing. I'm sure there'll be more products in the pipeline, but of course it does require the availability of high resolution textures in the first place. I'm not sure about the coverage of the entire US.I have the Megascenery Hawaii package and it's pretty good. But the overall quality of the Horizon scenery is better, particularly the autogen.If you purchase the northern England volume you can download a free autogen demo that covers a large area (Snowdonia/north Wales). This autogen is spectacular. Trees are planted at the positions of real-world trees and the same for buildings. There are also excellent custom objects such as a selection of bridges and Conway Castle. A new release of custom objects will be ready for release hopefully soon.Here are some screen shots from the Horizon forum: http://www.horizonsimulation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=196 There are also lots of animated objects such as birds and animals. Horizon say the frame rate performance of their autogen is superior to the Microsoft default and I believe them. My autogen setting is one notch down from maximum and I get excellent performance.Best regards, Chris

Would it not be awesome if in the next release, ACES makes available an included application that easily creates such scenery??A sort of in-house scenery creator.Everyone could contribute and do their neighborhood until the entire planet is covered.May need a terra-gig of memory but we have that now.al

Yep, same here. Horizon Simulation's autogen is definitely easier on my system than the default autogen. I can run my system with autogen at dense and get 30 fps, with clouds and default aircraft. With the default scenery and autogen I have to set my autogen at normal to get comparable performance.That new Piper Arrow also gives me better frame rates than default aircraft, maybe 2-3 fps better than the default C172. And it's quite a detailed model with lots of custom animations. My only quibble is that the windscreen and windows seem a little too opaque; they fade out the scenery a little too much for my taste. Otherwise, this plane works really well!Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest BobKK

I live in the L.A. area and I want to put a plug in for the Southern LA and Northern LA scenery from Blue Sky Scenery. It was originally designed for FS9 but I just installed it in FSX and it looks great.http://www.blueskyscenery.com/index.htmlIt really improves the default Los Angeles scenery, especially the airports such as KLGB and KLAX. Highly recommended, and it's free.Bob