Sign in to follow this  
lost16

Astonishing

I wouldn't bother installing it at all - i didn't see much diference with it installed anyways. Gosh these stutters bother the heck out of me. I have tryed every tweek mentioned and nothing helps. What Geforce driver you have installed? I have the 94.24 installed.

Yesterday a mate of mine (hi John!) showed me his fsx installation on his beautiful toshiba laptop, (Centrino Duo and 512MB 7900 Go) and he had always complained of "micro-stutters" like you're having. I noticed he had the weather set to fair, which I didn't like at all - looks very unrealistic with far too much visibility even for a cloudless day (at least for the UK). I also wasn't too taken with other of his settings - poor vis quality in the VC and the aircraft generally, and I felt sure he should be able to get a better experience than that. So I maxed his aircraft gfx settings, inc maxing the global texture size and, (and I think this must be the big one) set his weather to gathering storms (or whatever its called - gives about 3/8 - 5/8 cloud and occasional lightning bursts). This cut the vis automatically to maybe 20 mi and introduced very realistic haze fx. I'd previously shown him some screenshots from my home installation and I remember him admiring the haze fx in them, but didnt at that time pick up on his comment, though was a little puzzled as the haze is a bog standard thing in fsx, and something it does very well indeed, IMHO. I now realise he was always setting the weather to "fair", perhaps thinking that would reduce load on the program. Well, after I'd mucked about with his settings he was astonished and asked what I'd done cos his micro-stutters had disappeared totally - he had it locked at 20fps and it stayed at that virtually constantly. So now what I think is going on is the reduced visibility with that weather setting is reducing the ground texture load which is probably what was causing his micro-stutters. Anyway, you might want to try the same. Hope this helps someone.

Guest ianrivaldosmith

Tried it lol, I lowered the vis to 29 within ASV6.5, still stutters!And I use the latest vista drivers for my ATI X1600XTMind you fsx seems smoother on vista than it did on XP, its just teh stuttering mess thats annoying me.!Ian

Setting FPS to 20 is the only thing I find helps - anthing above - even 21 has stutters