Sign in to follow this  
Lange_666

"Breathing" textures

After applying SP1, i noticed some "breathing" textures here and there. Why breathing? Because they grow larger and smaller very rapidly and seem to breath.http://users.telenet.be/lange/images/ATW/atw_45_prob-04.jpgThe large darker terraintexture in the middle and the smaller one on the left are breathing textures. Even if there is full cloud cover, one can see them through the clouds.Another thing i noticed is the shimmering in a rectangular area around the aircraft in satelite view, most noticable at 8.00 and 12.00 zoom.Both "problems" did not exist on the RTM version and only showed up after SP1.Specs:- Intel E6600 Dual Core- 4GB PC6400- Asus 8800 GTS 640 MB- Windows XP SP2 with multicore hotfixFSX with SP1 + FCUIPC 4.10 + AISmooth: no other tweaks applied.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

Guest JSPuonti

I'm not sure about the shimmering, but I believe the "breathing textures" you're referring to are result of a low-level fog (cloud) layer. Basically, FSX looks at the weather report and sees that the ground you're flying above is supposed to be fogged-in and creates a flat, milky 2D texture at an appropriate altitude (the top of the reported fog layer). Any scenery below this layer ("within" the fog) becomes foggy / milky like the lighter areas in your screenshots, but as the ground rises up above the fog layer it punches holes in it and becomes clear again. This causes the difference in color.The reason for the "breathing" is that FSX's 3D engine is not accurate enough to handle the intersection between the scenery and the fog layer, so the intersection waffles this way and that seemingly at random. When you see this behavior the next time, go to your Weather menu, select the Clear skies theme and see if it disappears. If it does, you're experiencing ground fog FSX style. If it doesn't, I'm not sure what you're seeing :)I hope this helps.

It could be exactly as you discribe because the terrain i'm flying over in the picture has an altitude of around 5000.That also explains why i sometimes see clouds popping/sticking out of the ground at high terrain altitude.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR