Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Sion - Matterhorn - Zermatt

Taking the day to enjoy my new B206, I decided to see if I could locate the Matterhorn, located just to the Southwest of Zermatt, Switzerland. I had once seen the majestic Matterhorn from the air over Italy, and it was a sight to remember.Well, I was not surprised that although Zermatt has a heliport with 4 helicopters used for search & rescue, there was no airfield in FS, and this meant that I would have to do some more research to find a nearby field.On Google Earth, I quickly located Sion as one of the cities that had a field listed in FSX, and decided to begin my adventure there as there was some nice terrain to cover to my destination, and it looked like I would be able to easily navigate there by terrain reference alone.Here is the route I chose:1_Route.pngI lifted off easily and just to the East found the valley that I would follow South. I climbed easily to the top of the terrain for a better view, but followed the valley to where it forks.At the fork, I headed South into the East fork, and began enjoying the view and even letting the terrain rise above me as I thread the canyon.I followed the main draw which ran a bit more to the West and headed much more due South now. I wanted to end up on the Swiss-Italian border near Mont Collon, so I could fly East and "find" Mont Cervina (the Matterhorn) from there.The flight was much quicker than I expected, and I easily found Mont Collon, and then headed due East crossing over into Italy. The view as I crossed the spur of Mont Collon into Itally was spectacular.As I headed East, I noted the long lake in the GPS and was now clearly visible to the South-West behind me with Mont Collon the tallest in the backgroun.2_Lake.pngI knew to expect a small Italian lake to the North-East, and as I turned and looked there it was.3_LakeGoiliet.pngThis could only mean one thing!!! Just to my front left (the North-East) must be the Matterhorn!!4_Matterhorn1.pngThere she was... and with terrain mesh complexity at about 77, and other settings turned up I was still getting a solid 25 fps. I flew closer, to the left of the moutain to cross back over into Switerland to descend into the valley to look for Zermatt.5_Zermatt.pngThe Matterhorn, although lacking much detail even with settings 3/4 of the way up, was still recognizable to me. I descended into the valley cripsly, and turned to see the classic view from Zermatt.6_MatterhornfromZermatt.pngOf course, the touristy photos are highly zoomed, but it was a fantastic and quick flight well worth the effort.Try it sometime!Patrick

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I posted some shots of the Matterhorn when fs first came out but mine looked super close-probably due to using the fsgensis mesh. I assume you are using the default mesh?You can also take a look at the shots using tileproxy in the screen shot forum right now-now that is complete reality!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Wow, that video is awsome. I wonder what add-on scenery is used there.Patrick