Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Strange PSS Airbus Phenomena.

I have imported (no, make that installed) the PSS A319,320,321 airbus package and the A330/340 package into FSX. The following only applies to the 340-300 so far. I haven't tried all the others, but will assume until discovering otherwise that the same applies to all. If I discover anything significantly different, I will add to this thread.A few tweaks and edits and they fly reasonably well. Take a peek at Amedee Vermeire's pss2fx3.zip on flightsim for some advice if needed. THANKS Amedee!. A few observations follow:1. On autopilot with FMC initaiized heading turns, she is a bit sloppy. Need to plan wide and gradual turns, and she eventually lines out. Manual control is sharp and decisive, so a few more tuning tweaks may or may not do away with this consideration. The slopppy bit is only with the autopilot and only concerning a stable line out on a changed heading. Possibly a more shallow bank limitation would help. I have edited for Amedee's last tweak concerning this issue. At high altitudes she is not stable without this tweak. Tends to wave the wings at you back and forth.2. Haven't figured out a way to bring up the aircraft with the engines running when one is in a hurry. The only way I have been consistant at all is from a cold and dark panel, and sometimes this has not repeated. Always starts with the old CTRL+E MSFS bit, but a little more experimentation may find the more realistic method. This may be simply a short between these old ears. I need to go back to FS9, RTFM, and may find out that the only problem is ME.3. Now, the real mystery puzzle: In order to save, import, and use flights in the FMS, you need to originate a "my flits" folder inside of the "flights" folder of the FSX Root directory.In your "My Documents" folder, you will have a "Flight Simulator Files" folder for FS9, and a "Flight Simulator X Files" folder for FSX. The flights you programmed with your "flight planner" for each version are located in those two folders.If you take a flight from the "Flight Simulator Files" of FS9 and copy it to both the "Flight Simulator X Files" of FSX and the "my flits" folder you originated in the FSX Flight folder, you can load and fly the flight flawlessly with the FMC.Most of these flights I have tried were originated for FS9 with FSNAV, then imported into the flight planner routine, but I assume this is academic, and that all FS9 "flight planner" originated flights work as well. (i.e. KIAD-LLBG and LLBG-KIAD real time lasting 12-14 hrs.)Now the mystery: If I originate a flight with the "flight planner" in FSX in the same way, copy it into "myflts", when I select the flight in the FMC, FSX locks up and no longer responds to anything. Same flight originated as mentioned above in FS9 works perfectly.These old birds fly pretty much the same way they did in FS9 near as I can tell. With limited choices so far, this gives us a few more options with FMC controlled aircraft, so if you have these birds, give it a shot. May take a little fiddling, but well worth it IMHO.Happy flying:RTHEdit: Of course the IFDG Airbusses can be linked as well offering almost unlimited Liveries.

Guest UlfB

Hi,The phenomena isn't about the PSS AB, it's about you ;-) I'm impressed by the fact that you got the PSS busses working in FSX.Ulf B

If it is worth anything to anybody, please note the following:The last lines of Amedee's tutorial referenced above for the PSS Airbus 340-200 and 300 instructed to bring up the MCDU, right click on "init: scroll with the "Next Page" until you get the "tuning", "Controlling Roll", "Using Ailerons" page. Edit "Max Controller Change 2000.000000" to be "1000.000000". This stops the wing waving at high altitudes.In addition to this, I have found that on the same page if I edit the "Max Acceleration 10.000000" to be "20.000000" that banking to a new heading, particularly on ILS approaches is much more decisive and pretty well rolls out right on the mark. Otherwise, she passes up the selected heading and searches back and forth.On the engine starting bit, I have not found the solution. Following the manual she works some of the time, and doesn't some of the time. My belief is that for some reason adequate bleed air is not supplied intermittently (> 15). However, engines startup with no problem by pressing Ctrl. + E on the keyboard. There may be an edit possible to increase bleed air capacity somewhere.The FMC and everything else works like a dream IMHO. Give this a try if you still value these birds.Happy flying:RTH

A319, A320, and A321 perform pretty much the same with the exception that they are pretty weak on power. Watch your weight and loading or you want get off the runway. I would suggest light loading and no more fuel than is necessary for relatively short runs.Best I remember, they were weak in FS9 as well, but will double check.Happy flyimg:RTH

Conclusion:IFDG 320 series birds do not have the power problem. With full load they perform well as expected (With the PSS Panels including full FMC). If the negated PSS loadit utility is not necessary to you, I would simply fly these versions and forget the PSS liveries. They fly well with full PSS panel provisions including the FMC.A few solutions or work arounds:1. If you prefer the PSS 320 series birds and liveries, insert and adjust thrust scaler provisions in the aircraft.cfg for the PSS birds to increase power. This will allow one to retain the loadit utility and have ample power. i.e. (jet_engine)thrust_scalar=2.0Note that brackets will not print in this forum format. Replace Parenthesis with brackets around "jet engine".2. If you want the loadit utility for the IFDG models, copy your thrust scaler modified aircraft.cfg and air files from the PSS birds to the IfDG birds. Edit the liveries section and anything else that is applicable in the traditional way.3. Copy the aircaft.cfg and air files from IFDG versions to the PSS versions with applicable livery edits (but of course the loadit utility will be negated). In all honesty, I can't see any reason to choose this as I personally would only fly IFDG anyway if loadit was negated.4. Fly only light loads in the PSS versions or only takeoff from looooog runways which leaves much to be desired IMHO.5. Forget the PSS versions and only fly the IFDG versions. This of course is by far the most simple approach, but PSS utility provisions will be lost.I personally go with number 1 and 2, simply to retain the loadit utility, and have full capability with the IFDG birds. Otherwise, I would go with no. 5.If you want another set of birds with a working FMC, This is an option at least until something better comes along originated for FSX.One other side note. I went back to FS9 and selected the PSS 320 series birds. They are underpowered there as well IMHO. Exact same thing as FSX. The long range PSS 340 series is an exception to this. I see no problem at all with them and there are a reasonable set of liveries available. Loadit, fuel calculation, and Panel utilities all work fine and the aircraft flies like a dream (again IMHO).Hope this is of use to somebodyRespectfully:RTH