Sign in to follow this  
PcbFlare

Elevation Profile isn't showing terrain (using it with MSFS)

Hello,

I'm using MSFS (switched from X-Plane 11) with LittleNavMap, SimToolkit Pro and SimBrief. 
I ran into an issue where the elevation profile completely stopped displaying terrain since cca three flights ago.
I think it started with the 2.8.6 rc2 version of LNM, but i'm not 100% sure if it started happening after a specific update.
In any case, the elevation profile shows the waypoints and the altitude profile of the route, but not the terrain.

I don't recall doing anything differently when planning the flights (in comparison to flights where it did show the terrain).

I search for a departure airport, select it as departure, then select destination, then add SIDs, STARs and Approach.

Sometimes i'm not starting the flight plans from scratch. I'm in the middle of around-the-world trip, so i often overwrite old flight plans to start new ones.
That means that when i start LNM, there's usually the flight plan from the previous flight leg already loaded, so i delete everything with except the arrival airport, i change arrival to departure (while specifying the parking/gate), and then follow as usual - add new arrival for the following flight leg, add SIDs, STARs, Approach, calculate flight plan and save it as new flight plan. When i'm landed and parked, i once again delete everything except the arrival, change it to departure etc etc...

I thought that doing it this way might have caused the missing terrain in the elevation profile, so i tried to create several flight plans from scratch, but nope. Didn't help.
I don't know what to do to fix this. I reloaded the scenery, that didn't help either. 

Oh and another thing, not as important, though. The aircraft trail (the dashed line that shows previously flown route) is now visible only when the map is zoomed out. When i zoom in, the trail disappears even though it's selected as visible in the toolbar. 

Thanks... 

49 minutes ago, PcbFlare said:

I ran into an issue where the elevation profile completely stopped displaying terrain

First try to install the GLOBE data if you still use the buggy incomplete online elevation data: https://www.littlenavmap.org/manuals/littlenavmap/release/2.8/en/OPTIONS.html#install-globe-elevation-data Options on page "Cache and files".

The problem probably appeared since you fly in a region having no coverage. This has nothing to do how you plan flights which if perfectly ok.

55 minutes ago, PcbFlare said:

Oh and another thing, not as important, though. The aircraft trail (the dashed line that shows previously flown route) is now visible only when the map is zoomed out. When i zoom in, the trail disappears even though it's selected as visible in the toolbar. 

Is this around the anti-meridian in the middle of the Pacific? There is a known issue where the trail disappears.

Alex

• Like 1

1.Yes, i was using the online option. So i followed your instructions, downloaded the GLOBE elevation data (the all10 archive), unpacked it to my lnm/globe subfolder, changed the settings to offline and the folder where i unpacked it - and just to be sure i also quit and relaunched LNM. Unfortunately still no dice. It shows elevation 0 through the whole flight. I guess that the data for New Zealand are missing for some odd reason. 
The Global Land One project does show New Zealand as included, though, so it's a bit odd.

IIRC, the last flight where i did see the terrain profile was during my last long Airbus leg from Tahiti (TNAA) to Auckland/New Zealand (NZAA).
Now i'm exploring New Zealand in smaller planes. My last two flights where i didn't have the terrain profile was Auckland to Wellington (NZAA to NZWN) and now i'm setting up NZWN (Wellington) to NZCH (Christchurch). 

2.Yes, i'm right around Antimeridian.

Maybe both the features will come back when i'm done exploring NZ and hop on to Australia... 

Thanks again for the immediate response and stellar customer service. 💗

5 minutes ago, PcbFlare said:

I guess that the data for New Zealand are missing for some odd reason. 

The GLOBE elevation data has worldwide coverage. Also NZ.

Is the ground display probably disabled in "Tools" -> "Elevation profile display options" -> branch "Elevation Profile" -> option "Ground" by any chance?

This is how it looks here:

grafik.png

13 minutes ago, PcbFlare said:

2.Yes, i'm right around Antimeridian.

Ok. Will fix this for the next update.

13 minutes ago, PcbFlare said:

Maybe both the features will come back when i'm done exploring NZ and hop on to Australia... 

Actually, yes.
2. will be gone if you move away from the Antimeridian (or just zoom in) and the offline elevation data covers AU, so the green ground will be back too.

Alex

• Like 1

You know what? I'm an word not allowed. The last flight leg is almost entirely above water. When i fully zoomed in the elevation profile, i found out that the airports actually do have terrain visible. Sorry for wasting your time. Omg, THE SHAME... 😕
The last flight leg was regularly glitched, but that was prolly fixed by switching to the offline Globe data.

Thanks for your help and once again, SORRY. 😱