Sign in to follow this  
Guest MattNW

Vista - I'm Confused

Guest diajohn2

See there. There are good benefits to virus infections.

Hehe, that DELTREE thing reminded me of something that happened years ago - and it's a true story.It was in the days of Windows 3.0. We had delivered some software installed on a luggable (I wouldn't call it a laptop - it could crush your legs, and it cost almost a zillion).Since harddisks in those days weren't too big, our costumer would have to clean up pretty often, since a lot of data went in there. To do that, they just used WIN3.0's Explorer (File Manager, I think).All well and fine, but some time later we got a call: The system wouldn't start or anything. It turned out that most of the files on the disk were gone, including Windows' own files.To make a long story shorter, during cleanup our customer had wondered about 2 files that remained after cleanup, namely "." and ".." (you see where this is going, right?). So they had tried to delete ".." from a directory just below the root (eg c:data).I'm sure they got a whole load of warnings, but if you answered YES enough times, WIN3.0 could and would delete "..", which in this case was C: AND all subdirectories.Don't try this at home...BRGDSSven Sorensen, EKCH

Guest MattNW

Changing AV worked well for me. I was trying to copy some files from my desktop to my notebook. I burned a 50meg file onto a CD and when It tried to copy it to the notebook the progress indicator said it would take 5 days (yes I know the progress indicator stinks but it was still very slow). It was copying at 30k/sec which is slower than downloading it on dialup. Disabling my AV program brought that up to 5meg/sec so I just uninstalled McAffee and installed Avast! Haven't had a slow copy after that. I will look into the MS fix however but I'm keeping Avast!

Guest MattNW

I like the solution in the joke email going around a few years back. User calls tech support:TS: What seems to be the problem.User: I don't know. My computer just quit working.TS: What does it do?User: Nothing. I was typing and suddenly the screen went blank and nothing I do brings it back on.TS: Ok. First check behind the computer and see if it's still plugged into the wall.User: I can't tell. It's dark back there.TS: Turn on a light.User: I can't we are having a blackout.TS: Oh. OK. I think I know what the problem is. Get the boxes your computer came in and pack everything up and take the computer back to the store where you purchased it.User: Is it that serious?TS: Yes, I'm afraid so.User: What do I tell them at the store?TS: Tell them you are too !@#$%& stupid to own a computer! :D