Sign in to follow this  
Ed Gilbert

Help with LNM remote PC

Hello

I have used Little Navmap for several years and can’t imagine flying without this program! I want to move LNM to a remote PC so I read the documentation and but I think I am missing something. 

My setup is a home wired network with 2 PC’s a few feet apart.  P3Dv4.5 is on my flight PC (FPC) including my original version of LNM as well as Active Sky Weather.  I copied a clean version of LNM (the same version as my FPC, win32-2.8.7) to my remote PC (REM). I then ran LNM on the REM and had it create a recommended directory structure then closed LNM.

On my FPC I started LNM and used Load Scenery Library to create a database (little_navmap_db) in C:\Users\ FPC\AppData\Roaming\ABarthel.  After closing LNM on FPC I copied little_navmap_db to C:\Users\ REM \AppData\Roaming\ABarthel.

I restarted P3Dv4.5 on FPC and when at my home airport ran littlenavconnect. I started LNM on REM and selected Connect to Flight Simulator and immediately get the error “Caught exception” seen below which is pointing to my FPC.  (Edward is my FPC and Ed is my REM.) I click on close and LNM is running with my preferred layout that I had on FPC, I can see my plane at my home airport and AI planes moving around.  All folders in REM F:\My Documents\Little Navmap Files on REM are empty so I don’t see where LNM is finding my preferred settings.

spacer.png

I also see the following in the Weather area.  How do I update this information?

spacer.png

Looking in the weather section of the manual online directs me to Scenery Library to get the correct weather and I see this.

spacer.png

Here I can see Active Sky is identified as weather source.

spacer.png

My home airport is FA40 and I see this referring to my FPC saying file not found. Selecting another airport also refers to my FPC saying file not found.

spacer.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Ed Gilbert

Hi Ed,

about the exception: Disable "Load window layout from last used file" in LNM options on page "Startup and Updates". The files does not exist apparently. Maybe you copied the "little_navmap.ini" from the flying computer where the file exists.

The indication "no simulator" is expected since there is no P3D installed on the remote. Not an error. This is ok and there is no need to load the scenery library after copying the file.
Same for the linked files indicating "file not found". The BGL file paths are stored in the LNM database but the BGL files do not exist on the remote. This is just a hint and not an error.

About weather: This is a bit tricky. You have to share the ActiveSky weather folder on the flying computer across the network and then adjust the path to the files in LNM options on page "Weather Files" in section "Active Sky Weather File" to point to the network share (e.g. "\\flyingcomputer\Hifi").

Not sure why LNM shows old weather for P3D. Maybe the red warning is wrong. Have to check.

Alex

Hi Alex

Thank you for letting me know that some of the messages are normal for a network situation. I have disabled the "Load window layout from last used file" and that does stop the exception.

For the weather I already had the 2 PC's networked and some folders shared. I just updated the sharing to include this on the FPC,  C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\HiFi\AS_P3Dv4\Weather, so I can access the "current_wx_snapshot.txt". When I try to access the HiFi folder either through LNM or File Explorer I can't get past the AppData folder.  I get a "cannot access / you do not have permission message. I'm sure I had the AppData folder shared in the past.  I think Windows just likes to torment me sometimes but I'll keep working on it.

I'll keep checking here to see if you solve the LNM shows old weather for P3D note.

Thank you for a great program!  I would be lost without LNM guiding me through the skies.

Take care

Ed

spacer.png

Hi Ed,

quite a setup you have there. 👍

About the roaming folder: I tried this here and had to use something like "Extended Sharing" (not sure about exact words since I have a German Windows here) in the Windows properties dialog. The normal network sharing did not work.

The P3D weather warning is probably due to the simulator date and time. I compare this to real time. I'll probably have to remove the warning or compare it to simulator time.

Alex

Hi Alex

Thank you for the kind words.  The pit is still a work in progress but I'm enjoying my retirement.

spacer.png

I'll give the sharing another try.  I did add full access in the Advanced Sharing which is probably the same as your Extended Sharing with no luck.  Most of the time I get a great network setup but sometimes it just gives me issues.  Even a restart of both PC's did not help but I'll keep trying and let you know what happens.

Take care

Ed

Edited by Ed Gilbert
  • Like 1