Sign in to follow this  
Guest missionballer

Floating Autogen Trees

Hi there,what kind of offset are we talking about here; just a couple of meters or dozens or even hundreds of meters? If it's the latter then you probably have to dial back your scenery settings; I sometimes get badly floating autogen if my system is over-taxed. Autogen display is pretty low on the totem pole in the FS terrain engine and thus one of the first to get handled incorrectly. If the trees are "just" a few meters above the ground (or sunken into the slope) then it's probably an issue with the autogen itself. The FSX autogen system uses individual trees as well as clusters of trees. Clusters are used in some land class types to increase density while reducing resource use. In mountainous terrain clusters obviously don't work so well but their occurrence is hard-coded in the autogen definition files. It's possible to change the agn files to non-cluster types but you'd have to learn how to use the Autogen Annotator tool fo the SDK for that.I'm not 100% sure but I don't think TreesX would make a difference. In FS9 one could create clusters of trees in the texture itself but with FSX all tree types seem to have single-trunk textures only.Cheers, Holger

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have FSX and was flying around in the inlets surrounding my sim home base of Prince Rupert (CYPR) when i noticed that some of the autogen trees were not touching the ground and appeared to be floating above the ground. This is from what i can tell happening on mountain slopes and other rough terrain. I am thinking that it is either A) something to do with the TreesX addon i obtained here at avsim:( Something to do with a limitation of the autogen working with FSGenesis terrain, which i have complete world coverageC) Something to do with a glaring ugly bug in fsx which i have not heard of or seen anything about yet, and i hope this isnt the case.If anyone out there has FSGenesis and TreesX installed and has noticed this, please reply, because i find this to be a very ugly thing i HAVE to fix.I can put up with a lot when it comes with flight sim, because if anyone out there is like me, when im not flying the #### sim, im tinkering with it somehow in the hope to find a new way to eke out of couple of frames here and there. It has been this way since the first one way back in 1980. And yes, i still have my copy of FS1 tucked away in the attic.By the way, anyone else out there think the DeHavilland DHC-2 Beaver is just God's gift to mans quest to fly? The Aerosoft Beaver is the simmers answer to that.There just isnt any other way to go but low and slow!

Definitely, the default FSX autogen will have problems with floating trees, as well as some other certain bits of scenery. Usually, you see this in very rough terrain in remote areas, but sometimes you see it in more populated regions as well.I just assume they use the flying trees to make all of those broomsticks you see in the Harry potter movies.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

The offset appears to be maybe 20 feet or so, not much , but noticeable from down low, and it was very rough terrain in a mountain valley. And the frame rate wasnt the greatest at the time... i shoot for 25 fps and it was definitely not at 25 at the time this happened. i have a pretty good system (amd 64 dual core clocked at 2.2, 4 gigs of ddr2 ram, and a NVIDIA 8500 GT running on Vista) The video card is soon to be upgraded to the 8800 GTS OC.