Sign in to follow this  
Guest John Stinstrom

Viewpoint Controls?

Guest John Stinstrom

Does anyone know how to raise the eye viewpoint in the outside-spot-view mode?

Do you mean movement like when you press the space bar and drag your mouse around? You can go into the Settings/Controls/View dialogue and set keys which you can use to pan around in spot view.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Guest John Stinstrom

Thanks for such a quick response Mike. Hi have been working on this on and off since FSX came out. Until lately when I started scenery design I had just returned to FS9 and shelved FSX for the future.I was trying to get a view from above as well as to the rear or sides of the aircraft. When landing or maneuvering on the ground it is hard to see the taxiway ahead when your eyelevel is only six feet or so for a light aircraft. In FS9 I had my key command set up to pan up/down and left/right from the spot view and that gave me virtually unlimited flexibility.The views in FSX do not respond to the view key commands and the default views all give me a close-up of the aircraft which, while intellectually interesting, don't help you to fly the aircraft or look around much.I believe I found a way to change that by editing the camera setting axis on the aircraft in the aircraft.cfg file, in this case the default Cub. I was able to raise the point 10 feet or so allowing me to see over the aircraft and taxi / land sucessfully.Does this mean that to change a view you have to go to the individual config files for every aircraft? What a pain. One more thing I wish the "Aces" at Microsoft had left alone. I'm afraid that I'm one of those people who enjoys some of the new features of FSX but thinks that they come at a very high cost; not the least of which is a lack of backward compatibility.While in the config file I also noticed there is a GUID entry in the camera section. Do you know what this could mean/refer to?