Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

How Do I Set Up AI Aircraft?

Guest 727 Fan

Hi FolksI'm not an FSX owner yet. Hardware issues. But when I do spring for an upgrade, I'd like to get FSX. But the one daunting unknown about FSX to me is the possibilities of using Aardvark etc AI models and be able to fill big airports with real-world type traffic. With FS9, the Lee Swordy utilities like AFCAD and TTools still work.Sorry for the question to you veteran users, but I'm unaware of how FSX handles these AI models, how one would add the flightplans and models, and use AFCAD.THANKS for your consideration!!Rick (MKE)

Models - To my knowledge there are no true FSX AI aircraft.One issue with FS2004 AI aircraft is that many have untextured portions of the model at certain LOD. These were not visually significant in FS2004 because they showed as a dull grey in most cases.However, those parts now show as a deep black, which is very visually disruptive. The FSP and some of the PAI models are the worst - some of the others, especially the newer ones- are best.Flightplans - TTools is a FS2002 utility with minimal tweaks to make it work with FS2004 - no real compatability with FS2004. The same issues occur in FSX - however, FSX uses a different day of the week format than FS2004 - so flights in FS2004 flight plans show up one day early. Check the FSX forum at EvolveAI for a tool in test to convert FS2004 TTools flightplans to FSX format. It isn't perfect - but it's close.There are some issues with flight arrivals/ gate popups which have not been fully explained yet.Airports - There are four tools which can be used to modify FSX airports. None is perfect/ completely compatabile yet.The first was Burkhard Renk's tool which decompiled FSX airports, stripped out the FSX specific code and created a file which could be edited in AFCAD. His tool then cleaned up the AFCAD, made it FS2004 compliant and added back the FSX specific code.Flight 1 has published a payware program AFX Airport Editor - which copies AFCAD closesly. It has some very nice features but does have some issues for many people. There is strong support on their forums and a free demo version available. Check the Flight1 site - or probably a banner advertisement at the top of the this page.FSXPlanner is nearing release as freeware. A java-based application which offers a lot of promise. http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83 is the development forumhttp://www.zbluesoftware.com/fsxplanner - the web siteADE - Airport Design Editor is also in the works as freeware. In my opinion the one where compliance wiht FSX standards is a highest priority. It's a bit farther from release but will be the best - again IMHO. http://www.airportdesigneditor.co.uk/http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=82Both FSX Planner and ADE will require that you have FSX Deluxe with the BGLComp SDK installed as far as I know.Commercial AI Products - My Traffic - Ultimate Traffic - Traffic X by Just Flight - all have FSX versions available. They all have their advantages and their limitations. With SP1 and soon SP2 for FSX they have each suffered in the development process. My Traffic is the most actively updated/ innovated.Bottom Line - Nothing at this point can give you the reliable, full range of AI traffic as FS2004.I do not expect to ever see the AIA models or some of the others redesigned to FSX compliance.You can have very good AI in FSX, even with just copying your AI aircraft and flightplans over directly from FS2004.The default airport parking in FSX is so much better than any previous verison.But you cannot yet obtain the level of detail and smoothness which four years of development has given FS2004.