Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Boxy Effects

Your post is a little confusing to me. It appears that no matter where you look, you see square lights flashing, whether you are inside or outside the plane, correct?Is it only with one aircraft, some, or all aircraft? Does it also occur for scenery based effects?First, make sure you still have a directory in your FSX directory called effects. Inside this directory should be a directory called texture. Also, you will find a probably large number of .fx files in the effects directory. Inside the effects/texture directory you should see a number of .bmp files.The .fx files describe how the effects should act, and what textures they may need. The effects/texture directory contains texture files used by many effects.There are likely two things that could be wrong in your system. You are missing either the effects file(s) being called by whatever is having the problem (both aircraft and scenery call effects files), or the textures needed by a particular effect(s) are missing. In your aircraft.cfg file, you will find three sections (square brackets, not angle brackets)in each of these sections are records that describe where to place the effect and the name of the .fx file that needs to be called (found in the fsx/effects directory).If you can find all the effects .fx files called by the aircraft you are having a problem with, and have read through the effects file(s) and you can find all the texture .bmp files that all the problem effects are calling, then come back and we can try to figure out what else might be the problem.There is no such thing as "probably". Either you've found all the effects files that your aircraft is calling or you haven't.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest kanterj

I am still having boxes around certain effects. The following have boxes: Strobe lights on aircraft, blinking lights on ground, waves coming ashore on water, prop dust and a few more. On previous posts people have suggested it may be a driver problem. I have run driver cleaning software and installed the latest driver for my Radeon x1650 video card. Since the problem is not just with the external view of aircraft, it probably has nothing to do with any aircraft cfg file which has also been suggested. I have decent fps and other graphics are clean. How do I get rid of the boxes???? It's driving me nuts!

Guest furledd

I had exactly the same problem as listed here. I am sure I didnt have this problem until I installed the FSX service pack 1 or whatever its called update file. Anyway, sure enough Thomas you nailed it on the head - the effects texture files were missing. I copied them (fx_1.bmp, fgx_2.bmp, etc) from FS9 directory and am happy to report the problem is gone.The large blocky lights were driving me nuts too THANKS for the info.Dwight

Guest bjablonka

Thank you Thomas, my effects texture files are missing also. Maybe a dumb question, but where do I find them? Do I need to reinstall the individual add-ons or FSX?

As to where to find missing effects files, that depends. The first place to check is the file from which you installed the addon. Often the effects files might be in a separate directory in the file or even just in the main directory and you didn't realize you were supposed to move those files to the effects directory. My old FS9 effects directory is another place I look, as suggested above. If you don't find them there, then write to the author directly and they'll usually supply them. Unfortunately, it is very common that authors forget to include effects, gauges, and textures. I can tell you from personal experience its very hard to get a release totally correct the first time. My sympathy goes out to ACES on this one.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest bjablonka

Thank you very much, I will check my PMDG 747 folder.