Sign in to follow this  
AndyEG

Introducing myself - AndyEG

Hello to the community,

I'm flightsimmer since 1998 - but no nerd. I've just a known problem of simmers, using fs09/fsx at win 10/11 - the "lack of memory-problem" - although

I bought and installed the DX 10-Controller.

Thanks in advance for tips, I have created a new post to the topic.

Yours truly

Andreas

Hey @AndyEG,

Welcome to AVSIM 🙂

Sounds like your lack of memory issue is the dreaded 32 bit OOM warning (Out Of Memory).

No easy way around it I'm afraid, 32 bit programs (as FSX and earlier flight sims are) are limited to a maximum 4 GB of memory window no matter how much memory is installed in the computer.

Perhaps this link will provide some insite or a google search may also help.

https://support.precisionmanuals.com/kb/a108/vas-management-stopping-out-of-memory-oom-errors.aspx

Personally I suffered from out of memory all the time when running FSX-SE, where I worked around it by limiting the loading of scenery and monitoring the amount of VAS memory (Virtual Address Space memory) FSX-SE was using.

Since then, I've found P3D v4.5, being a 64 bit program, can access quite huge amounts of memory, typically more than what can be installed for Windows and I've not had any VAS memory issues since.

Cheers

Edited by Rogen

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Hey Rogen - good morning.

Puhhpfffft - a lot to read about this annoying-dreaded problem. I will study this. Thanks a lot.

When I look at the problems of MSFS - well - it's a MS-Product....:dry:

11 hours ago, AndyEG said:

Hey Rogen - good morning.

Puhhpfffft - a lot to read about this annoying-dreaded problem. I will study this. Thanks a lot.

When I look at the problems of MSFS - well - it's a MS-Product....:dry:

Hi @AndyEG,

Yes there is a bit to read regarding VAS memory usage and the OOM message.

I see you've posted in the DX10 fixer forum where Steve has given a few pointers.

The below is on the technical side, appologies but it is a technical subject.

• If running FSX-SE (FSX Steam Edition, the last release of FSX and a 32 bit program), it has a number of bug fixes and has the Large Address Aware flag set, which allows it to access the full 32bit 4 GB of vas ram allowance when run on a 64 bit operating system (where the O/S has more than 4 GB of ram installed).
  • Most 32 bit programs don't have the Large Address Aware flag set meaning they can only access 2 GB of VAS ram on both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.
  • Most likely and given you're running FSX itself (not FSX-SE) the Large Address Aware flag is not set and thus cannot access the full 32 bit 4GB vas memory allowance, you can set the Large Address Aware flag with the utility from the below link.

https://ntcore.com/?page_id=371

• Even with the Large Address Aware flag set 4GB will be used up rapidly and there will still be a need to manage scenery and aircraft usage to limit vas memory use (this is something I had to do all the time with FSX-SE, even though I was able to access the full 4 GB of vas memory).

Personally since migrating from FSX-SE to P3D v4.5 (being an FSX based 64 bit flight simulator), I've never had to manage around the 32 bit 4GB vas limit of FSX-SE.

MSFS is also 64 bit, however it has it's own nuances.

Both MSFS and P3D do require farily considerable hardware resources compared to FSX, with MSFS also requiring an XBOX account and pretty high level internet speed for its streaming scenery.

Anyway, try the 4GB patch with the fsx.exe (backup up the fsx.exe first!) and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

@Rogen,

...sorry for fullqoute - the 4 GB Patch - usable in fs 09 - also works with FSX? "Low-level - high risk situation"..... :ohmy: About MSFS - I knew about the farily considerable hardware and the high-level-internet speed for streaming.

I read about problems, if the MS-Server is down while maitenance working... - therefore I'll pass on that....  - cause I use WLAN.... .

Cheers back.... .

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Quoted post removed.

22 hours ago, AndyEG said:

the 4 GB Patch - usable in fs 09 - also works with FSX? "Low-level - high risk situation"..... :ohmy:

Sorry, not sure what you're talking about ???

The 4gb_patch.exe available from the previously provided link just sets the large address aware flag in a 32 bit executable (.exe file), no matter what the .exe happens to be, I've used it on many 32 bit applications I've migrated to Windows x64 to enable the migrated program to take advantage of the extra memory a 64 bit operating system provisions.

Once the flag is set the exe can access greater than the standard 2 GB being a full 4 GB on an x64 operating system.

Microsoft have a command line tool known as DUMPBIN to read file headers from where a person can determine if the large address aware flag is set.

DUMPBIN is normally only available via an installation of Visual Studio, not something anyone would really want to install for a single tiny command line app.

There are a few DUMPBIN style apps you could search for, the one I use is named as WUMPBIN and is available from the link below.

http://www.benf.org/other/wumpbin/index.html

Extract both dll and exe to a folder named WUMPBIN and run by double clicking the exe,  WUMPBIN provides a GUI display as shown below where the example 32 bit exe has the large address aware flag set.

I suggest if needing to take "out of memory" questions further, jump on over to the FSX|FSX-SE forum.

Cheers

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Rogen said:

Sorry, not sure what you're talking about ??

I suggest if needing to take "out of memory" questions further, jump on over to the FSX|FSX-SE forum.

1.) I was talking about the 4 GB Patch for fs 09 - and got it in this way, this patch could be used also in fsx. This MS-Command-line-tool - puhhh....that's a little too much "IT" for me. But thank you anyway. I'll remember that.

2.) Done. 🥱🥱

On 11/1/2023 at 11:09 PM, Rogen said:

There are a few DUMPBIN style apps you could search for, the one I use is named as WUMPBIN and is available from the link below.

http://www.benf.org/other/wumpbin/index.html

Extract both dll and exe to a folder named WUMPBIN and run by double clicking the exe,  WUMPBIN provides a GUI display as shown below where the example 32 bit exe has the large address aware flag set.

....this sound of the lack-of-memory-problem is annoying.

I'll try, what you recommended. Created a folder named wumpbin and extracted the two elements.

There is no exe that opens. Only an empty folder. I'm an absolute beginner in such tricky affairs...😒

4 hours ago, AndyEG said:

There is no exe that opens. Only an empty folder. I'm an absolute beginner in such tricky affairs...😒

Download the wumpbin.zip file to you fav download area.

Right click on it and select properties via the context menu item.

In the Properties/General Tab (at the bottom), if the file is shown as Blocked, unblock it (it's a tick box). Note Windows typically marks all files downloaded from the "Interent Zone" as blocked (depending on the policies that have been set on the computer).

Open the now unblocked zip file in Windows File Explorer, drag the 2 files out into your pre-created WUMPBIN folder.

In your precreated WUMPBIN folder, open the exe file by double clicking on it.

Use the WUMPBIN File menu item to browse to the exe where you want to confirm the if large address aware flag has been set.

Note the filter just above the Open | Cancel buttons on the browse dialog, change it to exe else it will not show exe files to select from.

Confirm via the Headers that the exe is large address aware, like in the example pic.

If the exe is not large address aware, use the 4GB patcher to set the flag and again review via WUMPBIN.

Cheers