Sign in to follow this  
jacilore

Best CPU/GPU combination for running FS98 at its maximum?

Hi all. I know this can be a little ackward to ask this in this day and era, but there are not many options, so I try.

I have a special interest to make FS98 to run as smooth as I can with Dynamic scenery/traffic.

And because of FS98 architecture, I have checked it only works in W8.1 32 bit and under.

So with that context I have experienced issues because what it seems to be the z-buffer limitations of the graphic cards on the PC's I have managed to work with FS98.

(The issues are mainly that, when there are more than 6-7 aircraft, ground and aircraft textures get black and/or flashing).

The cards I have used are AMD Radeon R7-200 and an NVIDIA Geforce 1060 GTI. From what I've read, I would need specific combinations of the graphic drivers total capacity and z-buffer storage, but that's a complicated world for me.

So. do any of you know which can be the best combination for playing FS98 with maximum traffic?

Thanks and regards

Jacilore,  I used FS98 that is 26 years old.   Window's 8 is not secure if connected to the internet.  I am not sure of what your current system is but even MS2004 would be better choice.   As far as CPUs I saw your post on Flightsim.com.  Your cpu would work but you need to find a graphics card that is a lot older then a 1060 (16 GB RAM Intel i7-7700 3.60 GHZ with a 3GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060...post from flight sim).. The graphics card is the problem because you will need a driver that works with Window's 8...

Hi Mark. Thanks very much for your reply.

About internet connection, don't worry, the 8.1 is through VMWare, and I don't connect that way through Internet. Thanks.

Actually I'm trying 2 options:

1) Windows 8.1 in the Virtual machine with SVGA II 3D drivers emulator.

2) W7 (without internet connection also), in the Intel i7-7700, with the GTX 1060.

And the cards themselves, work.

The problem with both seems to be the card 24-bit Z-buffer capacity, which affects this game graphics. (For it being a 16-bit game, is what I have read, no knowledge on this field), 

Even I have an older i7 870 2.93 Ghz with W7 and a AMD Radeon R7-200, with the same problem.

I have read that I could need a card which supports 32-bit z buffer. But I don't know which one could do, and the system requirements that fit with it

Do any of you know which config would do?

Many thanks in advance.