Sign in to follow this  
G550flyer

MSFS Weather

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/singapore-airlines-severe-turbulence-flight-321-london-death-injures-bangkok-landing/

Not to take away from or make light of the incident, but this is one of the reasons we need realistic weather effects in sim. Real world weather is full of pucker factor weather issues that make you consider the weather when flying. Many times I have delayed my departure because of destination weather. I remember dragging a flight of 12 F-18s from Honolulu to Japan and we delayed five days because we didn't have enough fuel to go North or South of a stalled typhoon. Freezing precip raises the hairs on my arms and I take hold over times seriously with falling snow. I once delayed departing California by four hours because the crosswinds were out of limits for my arrival. Delayed three hours from DC to KCOS because of sever low level windshear. Why depart and burn gas or divert when you know the weather isn't good. In sim, I fly right through storms because nothing will happen. I don't even have a good RADAR to pick through storms and potential severe turbulence. Hopefully in the future we get theses effects that force decision making. The only weather in sim that forces you to consider arrival is low vis with limited instrument approach options.

• Like 3

The Live Weather winds I've been dealing with lately have been creating extreme crosswind issues, placing departure and/or destinations beyond limits several times in the last couple of weeks.  Also, freezing precip has forced me to dump flights or change aircraft.

I'd say that the MSFS weather has certainly (at times) added to realism.  Does it have a way to go?  Yes.  Also, I need aircraft that respond properly to crosswinds and shear, and most don't right now.

• Like 1

Randall Rocke