Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

Is this a virus or what?

Hello, I've been having some strange problems the past while on my computer and I wondered if anyone had some advice. What happens is when windows update runs, a svchost.exe process suddenly starts using 99% of the CPU, and keeps at it until windows update is done. Normally it only uses 30-40% CPU in my experience before on this same system. This appears to happen somewhere around when I've copied files from my laptop, either over a network, or via flash usb drives, to the main computer. The first time I formatted the main computer, restored files from the backup hard drive, and it came back. I formatted once again, not restoring from the backup drive and all was well. Just recently I tried to get my digital pictures from my laptop on to my main PC via a USB drive. It worked fine but now I have this problem again. THe laptop doesn't seem to do this though, but just tonight, for the first time, the windows firewall wasn't on, windows advised me of it so I put it back on. Other than that the laptop appears to be running normally. I've tried a few different online virus scanners - Trend Micro's Housecall, Kaspersky's online scanner, and Symantec's online scanner, all come up with nothing, except that Kaspersky's shows a bunch of windows files are "locked", and that it couldn't scan it, this included some windows update files. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on here?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Disregard, I figured it out. I realized that when I copied stuff over from my laptop, I also installed Microsoft Office on my main computer to read my school notes (I have student teacher edition, allows installation on 3 pc's).So I wondered if Windows Update was using so much CPU because it was looking for office updates too. So I googled it, sure enough I got my answer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089