Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

things in perspective FPS and problems FS2004 Oct 2003

>Thanks Andre, but I've been at this thing since the early 80s>and this version has been one of the most frustrating in terms>of performance (HW lagging SW by several years at best due to>bloatware and MS misreading the processor roadmap?). So, I>wouldn't see things differenty as you put it.>>Here's the deal: flying GAs low and slow over stock air fields>surrounded by desert sandunes is pretty good with today's HW. >Only when you combine a PMDG744 type addon, FS9-equivalent AI>traffic, autogen, weather, and a detailed airport (like a>FlyTampa XXXX) would you appreicate how this version falls>short for some of us in this community. >>Sorry, it's not as simple and amusing as what happend after>FS9 came out or when FS5.0/5.1 came out. >>As for FS9 whining when it came out, I think lot of people>expected performance improvements from FS8 by optimizing the>engine so that it would be less processor bound and better>utilize the gfx adaptors that can efficiently push and>transform polygons. >>To be fair, I would say the FS10 water effects are most>excellent.>>Later,>Pat>>>>AMD Opteron DC 185 @ 3GHz, Zalman7700Cu cooler, Corsair XMS>2GB DDR, 7800GS-OC, Asus A8V MoBo, RaptorHDD, TrackIR4, CH>FSYoke+TQ+peds, Eclipse RED KB, WinXP-sp2I agree Pat that this one is more heavy as FS2004 was but with FS2004 we had a lot of FPS problems too...Also at this point we have to deal with a new operating system to so many variable in play...I always calculated new hardware in for a new sim period...But with my system and custom AI and the LDS767 have 25 FPS (locked at 25) at Heathrow 2008...Actually this sim performance is now better on my system as FS9 with a performance / quality ratio...Ground textures are far better quality as FS9 ever can be also from a Technical standpoint 1m isn't possible in FS9 ;-)The sky + Cloud environment is hughe step forward ;-) so different compared to FS9...3D models you can do so much more also from a technical point of view... The water is a huge step forward to......Just did last a test run from the same airport (EHAM)/ runway(18L) / time in both sims FS9 and FSX...FS9 scared the heck out of me just that ugly...Actually FSX is delivering so much more data as FS9 ever is possible to do ;-)Current on my system have a far better sim which will only be better in the near future with all the addon stuff...So this sim isn't for GA alone anymore I use both heavy iron and GA stuff...Don't forget that not every 3d party addon is programmed that efficiently and will bring your FPS down but when done correct it's a real joy...http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/awf1/sign.jpg

André