Sign in to follow this  
KERNEL32

Solar Eclipse possible in FSX?

I wasn't sure if this is possible to view in FSX or not? I started to attempt to set the time (Universal) to 10:21 and date to 1 Aug 2008 and put my airplane at Nadym, but didn't see anything strange or even remotely close to an ecplipse. Perhaps I need to download and run the "Autostar FSX" program? Or is this just not possible in FSX due to the moon not being simulated exactly in the position it is ITRW?More info on the upcoming eclipse here: http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/SEmo...08/TSE2008.html

Guest BOPrey

You are asking for too much. I did a two and a half hour flight this morning with AS and RC. Took off around 6:45. It was still very dark and during the flight, I saw the sun rose behind the darkness. It went from night, to dawn, then to day and that was enough for me. Too bad I didn't record that whole flight, and even if I did, it would be very boarring for most people.

Interesting question... this could have been an easter egg.The lunar phase for this month seems to be correct in terms of new moon/full moon (I was trying to adjust the ambient light, by flying on different days, to record a night carrier landing). Since I don't know anything about celestial navigation I have no clue if the moon was in the "correct" position.Wow... imagine if there was an included lesson on celestial nav! Talk about a hard-core aviation! Then you click on the lesson link just to hear the Rod (Machado) saying, "Whaddaya kiddin' me? Use the GPS!"Rob O.

Guest SHawk

"You are asking for too much." Quite right, and yet how spoiled we've become. I still use Charles Gulick's excellent FS guidebooks from the late 80s, just to see how far the sim has come. http://www.flightsimbooks.com for a blast from the past.I go through each one with every new version of FS, and it is quite amazing how much of what he described as seeing in his imagination is, in fact, really there in FSX. So, maybe eclipses in FS11 (Roman numerals are so first century, regardless of what Apple thinks.)

Guest fsxmissionguy

I'm fairly certain that both the sun and moon in FSX are in the correct positions based on the calendar day and position on the Earth that you are located, and that lunar phases are programmed to be accurate.For comparison's sake ... here was the view in real life on 21Jun05 from near Salisbury, England at just after sunrise:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183023.jpgHere is how FSX depicts this same view, on the same date and time (I have edited this graphic to better demonstrate the position of the sun):http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/183024.jpgPretty close.

>You are asking for too much.I was merely asking, I wasn't asking you or anyone to reprogram the game to show it. I thought perhaps I was either doing something wrong or maybe the addon for the stars (autostar x) would enhance it. I've been using FS since Sub Logic and can't say for sure how "spoiled" I've become ;) after all it used to be simply lines I know. But I live for today and do know that FSX does some incredible things and just wondered if it was possible.