Sign in to follow this  
Guest kbullet

Custom Camera Positions

Guest kbullet

I was wondering whether if there is an addon or way to put the camera to a custom location? I am trying to create an fsx movie but its hard since im limited to several view points. thanks in advance

Guest fsxmissionguy

Bullet,I haven't seen much in camera addons for FSX (there were some for FS9.)However, FSX has a very powerful mission editor that you can use to create movies. It will allow you to position cameras wherever you want them.In the mission Palm 90, I experimented with the machinima capabilities of the sim for a 10-minute mini-film contained within this mission. (You can get that mission here if you are interested in seeing what you can do with cameras using the mission system):http://www.box.net/shared/q8t46n4hkqHaving said that, creating movies using the mission system is not for the faint of heart. Quite the learning curve. The mission system was not created with the thought of machinema in mind (unfortunately).

kbullet,I'm not aware of a utility/add-on for doing this at present.You can manually place any number of fixed cameras wherever you want but it would take planning ahead and finding the exact viewpoint locations first. Creating the cameras is easy, just lat, long, and metric altitude (use aircraft info display in metric mode). There will be some time lost when switching cameras if new scenery has to load, so you'd need to be able to edit the video (I'd assume) to clean up the finished product. There's a Sample for fixed cameras in the SDK. What it doesn't tell you is that the fixed camera can be made movable but it isn't easy to control - motion is discretely N-S/E-W and to get it moving in exactly the right direction and speed at the right time and looking in the right direction would be quite a trick. We need a talented programmer for that, but if it's possible, someone will do it...Might be easier to have a "cameraman" in multiplayer do the 'filming'.Loyd

Guest PPSFA

The SDK has a Camera cfg section where it gives you instructions and samples, at least with SP1 it did, I havent checked in SP2 yet.

Guest kbullet

Thanks for all the replies guys! I'm fiddling around with SDK atm quite time consuming but it does what i wanted to thanks again!