Sign in to follow this  
Guest firehawk44

Little help on proper install order!

I reinstalled FSX today after some issues, ran it, then I installed SP1, ran it, then Acceleration, ran it. Everything looks great. NOW....what's the proper order for the following which I own:FEXGEXUltimate TerrainCloud 9 (US, Africa/Asia, Europe)MANY airplane addonsHawaii MegasceneryFS Genesis Terrain Mesh (I have version 1 CDs and Version 2 download)I want to do it right...what's your advice. I'm ready to go. Thanks.Stan

Guest firehawk44

You can install your addons in any order so the order you listed looks okay to me. However, you'll have to adjust the priorities in the scenery library to make your scenery addons work properly. Personally I think you're overdoing it with the landclass programs but who am I? I use just Ultimate Terrain although I also own FSG and all of the Cloud9 landclass products. I would place FSG as Number 1 priority, Cloud 9 as Number 2, Ultimate Terrain as Number 3, and finally Hawaii Megascenery. FEX/GEX are just texture programs which affect Ultimate Terrain, Cloud9, and FSG programs. They are landclass programs telling FEX/GEX or the default texture program what textures to call for your landscape/city/ocean textures. I think it is extremely important that you restart FSX everytime you install a new addon. That way it gives FSX time to adjust the scenery.cfg and terrain.cfg before the next program is installed. You'll need to run the individual setup programs that come with software like Ultimate Terrain, FEX, and GEX too to make sure you have your individual preferences installed. As with scenery software addons, I would restart FSX each time an aircraft addon is installed, make sure it is working properly, then shutdown and reinstall the next aircraft addon. I think that's important to help reduce any potential conflicts. Best regards,Jim

Thanks, Jim.I tend to agree with you on my "overkill". I may not install Cloud 9 this time. I will install FSG, UT, and FEX/GEX today.Your advice on restarting FSX every time a new scenery or plane addon is installed is probably the BEST advice anyone can give. I hope others who read this realize that! I've learned the hard way with several re-installs over the years. Now, after each piece, I start FSX to see how it "likes" what I just installed.Thanks for your advice.Stan

Guest firehawk44

"Your advice on restarting FSX every time a new scenery or plane addon is installed is probably the BEST advice anyone can give. I hope others who read this realize that! I've learned the hard way with several re-installs over the years. Now, after each piece, I start FSX to see how it "likes" what I just installed."Thanks Stan for your kind comments. Always appreciated. I just bought and installed GEX today and it's very nice. I also have XGraphics installed and I think both programs were well done. I got about the same FPS with each but GEX textures seem more clear. I just have Ultimate Terrain installed and I think it gets pretty complicated when you have several landclass and mesh programs installed. The nice thing about FSX is that you can go into your scenery library and disable a program like Cloud9 or UTX and then view whether you like the FSX environment better or not. Uninstalling and reinstalling can be a pain. I would also like to recommend you look at your scenery.cfg occasionally. I moved some scenery around through the library last week and everything seemed to be operating correctly but I found the Area numbers were not in sequence on several occasions and/or the Layer number did not match the Area number in the scenery.cfg. I think a corrupt scenery.cfg could affect FPS and maybe rendering of textures/objects. Thanks again for your nice comments. I hope I provided good advice.Best regards,Jim