Sign in to follow this  
Guest Skysim

Unable to re-install FSX!

Guest Skysim

Hi guys, here is my problem, so far nobody in the FS world has been able to help me, so here goes....I had a good install of FSX pro with SP1. I bought a retail copy of FSX acceleration (with SP2 included) and installed the product whilst working on something else (you know, click 'I agree' and 'next' etc). I had an error message that I tought might have been an SP2 bug about installing over a later product, but I ignored it. Now here is the silly part....in my FSX AP box were 3 DVD's (should have rung an alarm bell) and on closer examination I saw that they were FSX (vanilla), these had been put in the case by a dopey assistant in the shop and not spotted by idiot head me.Well, I re-installed the whole thing(the uninstaller crashed)..I did a manual un-install (with help from an FSX beta tester) but try as I might, FSX will not re-install. I get a message that my disc may not be an authentic product. I have a good registry cleaner, but that does not cure the problem. I think it lays in the security code in my PC, but that is only a guess. I registered the original FSX via the MS telephone system in Nov 2006.Any ideas?????

Guest firehawk44

When you insert the FSX DVD, what shows up? The Setup program or do you have an option to Repair? If you have an option to repair, I would do a repair, then, install SP2. You obviously still have remnants of FSX on your system so, if the above doesn't work, I'd go into the registry using regedit and search for FSX or flight simulation and delete all occurrences. Also make sure all FSX folders have been deleted from your harddrive. There are some hidden folders so make sure those are deleted too.Best regards,Jim

Guest Skysim

Hi,When I try to install, I get the following message...The patch package could not be opened, verify that the package exists and you can access it etc...D/Microsoft Flight Simulator X.msiI have got rid of FSX (I have one of the biggest Fs9 in the world, so will not risk uninstalling that) files, both real and hidden.

So...you have three DVDs. How are they labled? Do you have two of somthing? If you EXPLORE them are they different? I think Jim's idea of making sure ALL FSX files are deleted is VERY important. Too late now , but when I did a repair, I did it from control panel. It asked me to put in DVD 1 and it went right to the part of the disc that starts the repair. I'm too cheep to buy a real registry repair program, but I have had good luck with the registry cleaner in ccleaner. I know you've said you done that. Even so, something is wrong with your discs or your OS. I'm betting on the discs. Too early now, but as you know, you can do an OS repair that does noy deleat files. Then there have been plenty of people how have started from scratch. Reformat and all. Seems extreme, but you never know. I still question your discs. But I'm just an old ####..what do I know.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Guest Skysim

Actually it was 2 discs. mu mistake. What I did was install a standard (non SP1) FSX (by mistake, wrong discs in FSX acceleration box) over the top of FSX deluxe with SP1. Being an idiot, I did not just re-set my PC to a date before doing this! Too late now, it was in Nov 2007! I think the discs are OK, but fear that I have corrupted the security system built into FSX by having the two sims installed, one (lesser and older) over the later patched deluxe one. I may have to start with new Windows and c drive to cure this, installing FSX deluxe from a clean OS. If I get the chance, I will try and install the disc on another PC.