Sign in to follow this  
thrakete

Still No SP-1

I have gone through all the 'Cause" items in the Microsoft writeup for the problem "Vista SP-1 not available through Windows Update". I can find nothing that meets the rejection criteria.On the subject of computer manufacturer updates, the only one I can find that I have not installed is a BIOS update, and I prefer not to get into that can of worms.Setup is:Gateway GT5628Saitek X52HP All-in-One printerOtherwise no added hardware, except a change from the original 8500GT card to a GeForce 8600GT, Drivers as recommended by NVidia are installed.I do not want to download SP-1 through any method other than Windows Update because my present situation indicates a compatibility problem according to Microsoft. Everything is working fine without it.Anyone else out there with the same equipment running SP-1?Regards,Thrakete

Guest byoungblood

If you're like me and have disabled many unneeded system services and applications, that may be what is keeping SP1 to not appear in Windows Update. I did the manual download and install yesterday and had no apparent problems. It hasn't caused my performance to decrease, but so far I haven't noticed any benefit. But again, it has only been on my system less than 24 hours.

What language version is your Windows?Most languages aren't ready yet.

Thanks, but the language is not the problem. The Microsoft write-up covers the available languages, and mine is listed.Regards,Thrakete

Guest djholmes1200

SP1 was not showing up for me through Windows update. The problem for me was an older update kept failing to install so it wouldn't move forward to the SP1 update. I could not find a solution. I just downloaded the standalone SP1 update package which is like over 700Mb and ran that. It worked fine and installed flawlessly. I'm not sure why you would have a problem doing that.

I did throw away some of the "trial" stuff etc. If you have the same model, you already know it is the Media Edition set-up, and there were a lot of things on it I would never need. However, the Microsoft problem analysis thing does not mention that as a possible cause.Thanks for the reply.Thrakete

I could do that of course, and just uninstall it if it turned out I had a real incompatibility. Just not sure it's worth it, most of the guys say they see no difference in the computer performance after installation.That's probably because most of it has already been installed in bits and pieces by Windows Update.Your suggestion beats chasing a possible incompatibility by messing around with my BIOS though. Thanks.Regards,Thrakete

Guest Nils79

Most? Perhaps they should copy files with Vista RTM and then with Vista+SP1 ;)Anyways, did you test the SP1 RC and did you deinstall it? And i think SP1 needs at least one other KB***** so, make sure to install every available update for your system (except of drivers).Perhaps you will find here also answers: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

UPDATE: (No Pun Intended)This is for the benefit of anyone else with this computer model that downloads Vista SP-1.O.K. I gave up on the witch hunt and downloaded the Standalone version of Vista Sp-1 and installed it. Installation went smoothly, but when I finished I had no computer sound at all. Zilch.To shorten the story, going to Gateway's download center and furnishing computer model and serial number gave me a list of available updates. One was the Windows Vista Sigma tel HD audio driver that matched this computer model. Version is 6.10.5405.0. Following the well documented instructions for installation (It's not fully automatic, you have to execute a file from the Search box after hitting the Start button) I got it installed and now have the sound. It appears for now that everything else is working O.K., but I only have a few minutes on FSX with SP-1 so far.This conflict is probably why SP-1 was not available on Windows Update to start with for my computer.I should emphasize that this is only for this particular model, the Gateway GT5628 and about 4 other Gateway models. My Vista is Home Premium 32 bit.Will let you know if anything else gets wrapped around the axle in this operation, and thanks to all for the suggestions.Regards,Thrakete

Nils:thanks for the post and the suggestions. As you can see from my summary posting, it turned out to be easier than I thought. Apparently the Sigma tel driver was not to Vista SP-1's liking, and that's what initiated the problem.Details of my fix are in my summary posting, and i hope that's the end of the story.Regards,Thrakete

I agree Jim. That's what I was using to troubleshoot, and I spent several hours using it as a guide.However, I still could not find the problem until I got fed up and just loaded the standalone anyhow. I then found out what did NOT work, and was able to fix it. I think this was backwards, and don't recommend it if you can solve the problem by following the MS write-up.Having said that though, I am now speculating that the standalone, which apparently cleans out all the old updates and replaces them, could actually give you a better installation than you will get from the Windows update method. Just a thought, no proof.I have tried several flights since I got my sound back, and everything seems to work well. May have gained a little in smoothness in the sim and perhaps a frame or two, but that's a subjective evaluation.So far I have seen none of the problems that several others were reporting. I think SP-1's effect is strongly affected by small differences in the individual computer systems, some of which probably have not been encountered yet.Regards,Thrakete