Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest aspenleaf

Problem with wave animations

I just did a fresh install of FSX on a new machine. I have installed SP1 and SP2, but no other add-ons. On my previous computer, using the same video card, the wave animations were fine, but now they are very infrequent, and when they do occur, they run for about 2 seconds, then abruptly disappear, never to return. Does anyone know what is causing this and how to fix it? I have advanced animations checked, and have the water effects at 2x max.My new computer is: Q6600, 4GB DDR2-800, XP Pro (32-bit), eVGA 7900GS KO 256MBMy old one used the same OS and video card, had Opteron 180, 2 GB RAM.Thanks for any help.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

An old old topic to which I hope you get a reply that solves the problem. However, I thought it was unique to having Ultimate Terrain and/or possibly other scenery related addons (and from your findings, that assumption may be in error). I am seeing this reaction only in the interior USA terrain (And I have UT USA installed). Try another part of the world and see if the problem goes away. I have waves with no problem in Alaska, but if I try the same thing in the interior 48 states, I get the same thing you do (Seattle area for example).I have tried everything that I can find that is recommended in the forums with no success. I get the same thing you describe.Some posts simply inply that it is the nature of the beast, and there is nothing we can do about it, but again unless I am mistaken, these replies refer to systems with UT installed.Good luck:RTH

Something must have changed it. It appears that whatever triggers the wave animations has been changed. I didn't have SP2 on my other computer, but since I was installing fresh on the new computer I added it before I launched FSX with just SP1. I uninstalled SP2 via Add/Remove programs, but it didn't bring back the animations. Do you think a complete uninstall and reinstall with only SP1 would work?

I uninstall/reinstalled with just SP1. There are more waves showing up, but they still end abruptly. I need to figure out how to edit an effects file to either fade it out gradually, or loop it continuously while the plane is within a certain range. Any advice?BTW, I have the same problem whether I'm flying in the Seattle area, Alaska, or Hawaii.