Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nick_N

Question regarding XP and FSX

Hi guysRight now I'm running a Vista 64 system with 4gigs of ram. Nick_N'sposts have convinced me to set up a dual boot system with XP.I'm going to setup a 2nd HD with XP exclusivly for running FSX , myquestion is should I install XP 32bit or 64bit. I know the 32 bit will only recognize 2gig of my ram , does the 64bit recognize more?and will I have an advantage to using one over the other.Thx in advanceFloyd

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

Guest tmilton

If you already have Vista 64bit on your computer, and want to dual boot with XP, then you might as well install a 64 bit version of XP. The 64 bit version of XP (just like Vista 64bit ) does not have the RAM memory limit that the 32bit OS suffers from, and should recognize all of the 4GB.There is one more thing you should know about dual booting Vista and XP. If you set up such a system, whenever you boot up into XP, there is strange phenomena that happens:Windows XP will delete all the system restore points that were made in Vista, even though Vista is on another partition or hard disk. It will also delete all the shadow copies that are a part of Vista's system restore. Windows XP can't recognize these Vista restore points and shadow copies and thinks they are corrupted data, and simply deletes them.So when you boot back into Vista, you will find all your restore points have disappeared. This is a real problem if you rely on system restore backups to get you out of a bind when needed.More information on this peculiar problem, and possible ways to prevent this from happening:http://bertk.mvps.org/html/dualboot.html

Guest Nick_N

XP x64and the restore point loss is a blessingturn off system re-gore on both Vista and XPUse my list to set up XP