Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Extra functions with GPS

Hi,Can you let me know if I can get more out of the GPS?Currently I use it to see my route, Ground speed, time until next waypoint, heading correction to follow route, See the map, Put in my assigned approach and activate the Vectors to final to line up automatically with the runway. I also see the altitude and dimensions of the runway.Do you guys use it for anything else?Thanks!Marc PMontreal, CanadaIntel Dual Core E2140Nvidia 8800GTS 640MB2GB RAMWINXP Pro19" LCD + 84" LCD Projector

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Marc,There is an excellent section in the FSX Help guide for using the Garmin GPS. I highly recommend that you read over that section. There is a TON of useful info there.The GPS is not EXACTLY like the one in the real world, but it has most of the features. The "Direct To" functionality is particularly useful if you run into real world weather on a VFR flight.Really, the planning that goes into the flight of an aircraft to account for all the possibilities that can occur inflight is one of the things that amazed me about Flight Simulator learning. Previous to my flight sim experience, I had no idea how much planning goes into a simple VFR flight.Cheers,