Sign in to follow this  
terrypin

Novice - Navigating in Yaw mode?

After some help here and elsewhere I'm slowly learning how to fly a Trike UltraLight at slow speeds. (Joystick ordered, using mouse and KB for time being.)But as my main interest is examining scenery in connection with my walking and mapping interests, I'm experimenting with navigation using the Yaw mode. That removes the need to operate the plane controls, gives me a clear view of the ground below, and lets me move at higher speed if necessary to change location. Could someone please confirm that the following steps I'm using are correct, or suggest any improvements please:1) Start a flight at any airport, F10, open map window, enter lat/long of location I want to study, bearing 0, altitude say 3000'.2) That gets me to the area I want to study. Immediately press Y to enter Yaw mode.3) Ctl+Space to ensure level attitude.4) Press any of 4 arrow keys to move horizontally across the landscape. Speed seems to increase rapidly if I keep key pressed, so requires gentle touch. 5) Gain or lose altitude by pressing F4 or F1 respectively. (Again, quite hard to do so slowly.)6) But I don't yet understand how to *rotate* view to any angle while moving slowly horizontally? Including looking down at a steep angle. (I can use F12 to look vertically down, but sometimes I want say 70 deg, not 90.)7) I'm also unclear about the correct way to remain stationary. Is it always the Numpad 5 key? What about just using P to Pause? Any advice would be much appreciated please.-- Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Terry,it's normally called "slew" mode and you have most of it right already.A look at the keys section of the kneeboard (F10) in flight OR scroll through the key assignments via Options>settings>controls; controls tab; tick "Slew" in flight mode block and see all the currently assigned keys. This includes 9 and 0 for pitch control and numpad 1 and 3 to rotate. Note this is Aircraft positioning and not view panning (your joystick should give you view panning when it's connected). You can also adjust vertical position with Z and Q for fine changes instead of F-keys. For super-fine control, drop the sim RATE to 1/4 before making delicate adjustments. Full disclosures (more or less)in the Learning Center.You can also view/adjust via the controls section from the main menu before entering a flight. It might also help you to realize that aircraft and camera position and orientation are saved with a flight and you could precisely edit specific camera or aircraft position parameters in a saved flight as to pitch or heading and it should be there when you reload the flight.num-5 cancels ALL motion so you have to start movement over again to continue on your way. Pause, obviously, only pauses so all motion continues when you resume. Pressing the reverse of each key slows the previous motion by the same amount.Loyd