Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ethan744N763

FSX Acceleration Issues?

Guest byoung

I am thinking about getting the FSX Acceleration w/ SP2.What are the pitfalls? I know there are some compatibility issues with some third party addons.I am running FSX on Windows Vista 64, using a 7600GS w/ 256Meg.Computer is a Dual Core 5600 w/ 4GB RAM. It seems to run pretty well, but Windows Vista warns me when I launch FSX that it is going to run in Windows Vista Basic as far as the graphics. I have updated the NVIDIA 7600GS driver for Vista, but I still get this message. Will Acceleration enhance any of the graphics on this environment? Any help would be really appreciated.Thanks!Barry

Guest firehawk44

Why not download and install SP2 for free? See how you like it and, if it works good, purchase the Acceleration package. You can download SP2 from the FSInsider.com website. BTW, most of the compatibility issues with third party addons have been resolved. Even some commercial developers who stated they would never upgrade their products to be compatible with SP2 have made them compatible.Best regards,Jim

Guest byoung

Thanks for the information Jim. I will give it a try.Also, I am wondering if anyone can chime in on the NVIDIA issue, for example, does Nenhancer work for Vista?Thanks!

Hi BarryI am running vista 64 plus Acceleration (SP2) with fsx and there is quite an improvement (for me) over the base install and SP1. I no longer use nHancer as I have not found it necessary with the latest nvidia drivers. (Why complicate things?) I am using a 9800GT card with the latest drivers updated by VISTA. The processor is an unclocked E8600 with 4GB ordinary RAM.RegardsPeter Hayes

Guest Ethan744N763

I have acceleration and I am going to upgrade to 4 gb of ram. The only con I can think of is that lots of freeware has problems with sp2 mostly with the virtual cockpit. Since SP2 has been realeased many upgrades have been made.-Ethan

Guest JIMJAM

Keep your fingers crossed.It made a total mess out of FSX and my addons when it first came out.Now after all this time, there is a better chance newer addons or patched older ones will be ok.I gave it a second try a month or so ago and it again hosed FSX and it took a week to straighten it out.Alot of the latest releases take advantage of some of the things Accel offers but I am afraid to reload it.Good Luck.FSX/SP2/XP/SP3

Guest byoung

Thanks for the advice... What about installing SP2?Any issues with this?Can anyone else chime in?Thanks!

Guest jshyluk

Very generally speaking, SP2 should install nicely on its own. It should improve a number of things in FSX. And if you don't like it, it's easy to un-install. That's the basic story.Beyond that, if you have a really souped-up version of FSX, or you have a lot of SP1-era add-ons, especially those that were never updated to SP2, or even FS9 conversions, well, then things might break. But for most people, with un-tweaked FSX and minimal add-ons, SP2 should be an improvement. At the very least, you can try making a Restore Point before you set to installing SP2. And it's free for you to try.That being said, I like the add-ons in Acceleration, you get a lot of value for the money. Jeff ShylukAssistant Managing EditorSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

Guest Ethan744N763

Yes all my add-on's work fine now and I like Accleration seems to run smoother and I like the F-18 and P-51! :-)