Sign in to follow this  
Guest davidvoogd

FSX AI options

Guest davidvoogd

This summer I picked up a new system (Dell XPS 630i - Intel Core2Duo E8500 3.16ghz / 3GB Corsair dominator ram / Geforce 8800GT 512mb / Soundblaster XfI) for FS9 and FSX. I use FS9 for all my jets and FSX for my General Aviation flying.I was just wondering what options there are for AI traffic in FSX to replace the framerate hog default. I don't really need a lot of commercial traffic since again I just fly GA in FSX. Is there any way to port over the default FS9 traffic into FSX. If I do that can I run it with fairly high amounts of traffic (of the default FS9 that is) and still retain decent frame rates?I'm basically looking for the best freeware option to get some general aviation planes up in the sky with me so its not so empty at every airport I go to.

David,Just drop the aircraft and traffic bgls into FSX and keep right on flying.Since I was happy with the level and type of AI I had in FS9, I simply ported over the Ultimate Traffic, Ultimate GA, and military packages to FSX.I placed the military in their own folder away from the civilian so I could turn them on or off at will. GA stuff is in its own scenery folder, personally made traffic plans in their own folder and I placed the FSX default AI in its own folder so (in the unlikely event that I choose to) I could enable it separately and disable the others with complete control. FSX and FS9 traffic files cannot run simultaneously.The biggest problem with FSX is the lack of parking in default airports. The first test of FS9 on my new box was in Southern Calif with AI at MAX and trafficToolBox indicated 776 aircraft in range. Ain't gonna happen in FSX! I don't know the max I can realistically run in FSX but since I spend most of my time out in the 'boonies' where you rarely see more than a few GA's, I don't miss it.To have a good bit of traffic you will have to make or download modified Airport Facility files (incorrectly but commonly referred to as AFCAD files) with many times more parking than exists in the default airport files.I even modified a few of my smaller FS9 airports using AFCAD to line up better in FSX. Less than perfect but usable nevertheless.Loyd

Guest davidvoogd

Do I put the aircraft in /Flight Simulator X/Aircraft or /Simobjects/Airplanes ?I'm just going to use the default FS9 planes and aircraft, just enough to have some variety but not a huge impact on framerates.