Sign in to follow this  
Guest jasonlg3d

Flying a Certified Heli Sim

I just recently started a new job at the leading level D flight sim company. I finally got my first chance to fly one today! It was a Bell 412 Helicoptor sim. This one did not have the full motion but wow!At the beginning I was a little dizzy but after a few minutes I was acclimated and all was well. The first flight was taken by my cubicle mate, who had never flown a heli sim before. After a few moments of violently spinning about 50 ft above the ground, he straightened in out and started flying low and fast across the rural countryside. He landed in a field by slowing to about 40 knots and sliding on the skids to a stop! Not the most elegant of landings but I guess we didnt die. :) Now it was my turn to take the controls. It was pretty ugly for a few seconds until I got a feel for the controls. I sped off back towards the airport at 140kts and about 150ft.We arrived back at the airport and I slowed to 60 kts and cruised up and down the runways. Then I headed for the helipads. I practiced a few hovers on the way. I couldn't hold them very long but I felt i was long enough to land. I picked a helipad and brought it down rather roughly but pretty dang good for a newbie. Our flight only lasted about 30 min but it was awesome. The Engineer working on the sim asked if I had flown before. He said I was very good for a first timer. It just goes to show that MSFS does give you a good basic training. My cube mate who is not a flight simmer had a very difficult time even flying straight and level let alone slowing to a hover and landing.Its amazing how much difference 180

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!