Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

When lowering Gear - No Drag to Slow Plane

Guest Joe

Some planes do have increased drag when the gear is lowered. Others do not. I want to fix that.Have used AirED to edit the air file and have changed the values in the highlighted section....http://www.cableone.net/joesumralliii/drag.jpgI've opened other "air" files to try and get a feel of what numbers to use. When that didn't work, I used extreme numbers to see if something would happen....didn't work.Any ideas? Anyone know what I need to do?Thanks,Joe

Guest PhLem

If it is for FS2002, you need to change them in the aircraft.cfg file. It's values overide those in the air file. Try induced drag.Udo.:-wave

Guest Joe

Thanks, Udo.I have more than one plane that doesn't slow when the gear is extended. So, I'm not singling out any plane when I use Greg Pepper's Beech 18 as an example. It's just the plane I'm working on in trying to resolve this...I like the plane and just want to make it a little better for me.The plane that I'm using to compare flight characteristics is the Beech Baron. It looses around 30 knots when the gear is extended.At your suggestion, I looked at the Beech 18 aircraft.cfg. I compared it to the Beech Baron's cfg. Both planes have a "Flight Tunning" section and are essentially the same...except the "yaw_stability", they are the same. Both planes have the same value for induced drag.Question: I wonder if there is something in the .mdl that, when the gear is extended, tells the program that..."There is now more frontal surface area so the plane must slow."?Thanks again for your input.Joe

>Question: I wonder if there is something in the .mdl >that, when the gear is extended, tells the program >that..."There is now more frontal surface area so the plane >must slow."? No, there's nothing in the .mdl except the visual modeling.Any values in the aircraft.cfg [flight_tuning] section that're set to a value of "1," that simply means to use 100% of the same parameter's value in the .air file.So, to increase a parameter's effect by, say 200%, you'd need to enter a new value of 2; 300% = 3, 321.223% = 3.21223, etc.The same percentage effect works in reverse also using smaller, and even negative values. For example, to reduce by 100%, the value would be 0.0001 (I'm not entirely sure if 0 is recognized?), -300% = -3.0, etc.

Look in section 1540, FS2002 installs these sections if you use Aircraft Editor that comes with FS2002Pro. It may not be using Section 1101 Drag Area!

Guest Joe

I had the same manual or tutorial as you!

I chose two aircraft that act properly when the landing gear is extended.AndI chose two aircraft that do not act properly when the landing gear is extended.In each case, the aircraft that do not act properly have a list of additional sections added to the airfile. They are listed as "Unknown". The number range is from 1539 thru 1547.I don't know what to do at this point. I guess I'll try editing out the 1540 section and maybe other Unknown sections also.Backing up the airfiles before experimenting is SOP!Bill, you've helped me before and, now, you've helped me again.I owe you! Thanks!Joe

Guest Joe

Update!Deleting any of the "Unknown" sections, 1539 thru 1547, is not the thing to do.