Sign in to follow this  

IFR Panel Suggestions... Please

Guest eko

I am working on a VERY simple, VERY plain IFR panel to practice with in FS2002. This panel is strictly about getting the instruments up there, but at the same time, since I'm going to be looking at it A LOT, I don't want it to be butt ugly either.It's for a single engine prop, of course, and I would very much like to get some feedback regarding placement of instruments, ideas, suggestion, criticisms, etc.A couple of design goals. Use as many default instruments as possible, stick to the basic stuff you're going to need to practice IFR.Ok, now that all that is out of the way. Here is my preliminary bitmap, instrument selection and placement. Let's call it a late Alpha, early Beta. :-)Let the roasting begin!

Looking great so far, but what I'd change: You have an HSI, so there's no need for an additional NAV1, same with ADF/NAV2 and the RMI. So you could get rid of three instruments (NAV1&2, ADF) and make some space for e. g. some more radio stack.Good luck! :DEtienne

Guest eko

Ahhhh!! A response! :-)Yes, there is some redundancy there, but I purposely left it in there so I would have the option to use either one or the other, as some planes have a standard VOR, and others have the HSI. Same goes for the ADF and RMI, I want to be able to practice with both.I've made numerous small changes since that screenshot, and the panel is now in beta testing and getting the wrinkles ironed out... look for a release in a day or two.Thanks for the feedback!

hi ekoi did download your panel image a very long time back ,but cud not respond as i did not know how to convert a bmp to gif ,to upload a pix of my panel as a suggestion.i have downloaded your jpg ,will go thru and offer some suggestions ,on face value it looks very decent ..what u cud change is mentioned below.1.position of lndg gear and trim gauges , keep them on the right side of the panel as thats where they are so that the pilot in command and anyone with him on the right seat can see clearly ,specially the position of the gear for landing ,and trim position for take off2.u have a throttle lever on the left and a prop lever in the centre of the throttle and mixture, y not try to place the manifold pressure gauge and the rpm lever directly above the two levers. Reduces the scan area and u can shift the rmi below the turn cordinator. also if the throttle lever is to the left of the prop lever ,keep the MP gauge also to the left .3. the net has some nice rmi's which incorporate both the adf and the vor functions along with dme readouts, which u may wanna add.4. why wud u like 2 omni brg indicators along with an hsi??(ok disregard this one as I read ur response )5. maybe ,just maybe the gauge sizes cud be increased for better clarity 6. personally ,as u see in my panel ,which i use for my ifr stuff ,i intend to fly all systems go ,so i got rid of oil temps, pr ,elec switches etc etc to create more space for other instrumentation more required in a jet cockpit. also it reduces the clutter and allows for bigger instruments.7. i was wondering what the digital readouts are below your primary flight instruments. in fact it says 29.92 below the turn-cordinator ,hats more like an altimeter setting digitally so maybe the position shud below the altimeter.8.by the way nice com box.i too designed my right seat panel to fly around ifr in jets on fs2k .the fs2k panel of the 737 was not enuff,and did not have all what i wanted to see.i did use the genius of some computer wizards out there who design freeware for the likes of me to freak out on, and then it became a pretty useful panel for me.noticeable difference or addons from the normal fs2k panel ,and u may like to add some stuff like that1 removed oil tem pr gauges etc as idea was to practice all engine ifr all the time ,made space for the required dials2 repositioned gauges to match up with real Boeing type layout to a f/o config3 the grt hsi has a wind readout, very very important to me.4 a 100000 feet radar altimeter !!,wonderful when over hilly terrain5 rmi with good readability and 2 dme readouts, also an additional king air gauge with dme ,gs and time to station readout6 fuel totallizer