Sign in to follow this  

A question about FS sounds

Can anyone explain the two settings 'rparams=' and 'vparams=' in the sound.cfg file?Or does anyone know if there is a tutorial on FS sounds.I've looked in all the obvious places & come up with absolutely nothing.I was sure there was an SDK about it from MS, but when I went to download it, it doesn't exist.Any info at all is a help to me.ThanksDavid Maltby

Guest InBetween

The MS SDK for the "Aircraft Container System" includes the "sound.cfg" SDK, and explains these values briefly. I have usedthe R and V params to fiddle with the sounds of open cockpitplanes with mixed success...Good luck!JR

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at that SDK.

Would you believe it.I downloaded the SDK & the document crashes my old version of Word!Honestly, it's enough to make you chew your own leg off.Is the sound.cfg part small enough to copy & paste into the forum here?

Guest InBetween

I don't know if this is legal but I will try it:The sound.cfg SDK is ten pages, so I will justtry it with the pertinent one:What a mess! Of course the table is not reproduced!I will try to edit it a bit for clarity:Begining of pasting...........Specific engine sound sections (sound lists)The parameters in these sections (e.g., (STARTER), (XSTARTER), (SHUTDOWN), (SHUTDOWN.1), (COMBSTART), etc.) are used to define the specific aircraft engine sounds referenced by the parameters in the (SOUND_ENGINE) section. Each sound has its own section in the Sound.cfg file with a bracketed header and is linked to the next sound in the sound list with the link= parameter. The following table describes parameters used in the engine sound sections of an aircraft

Guest InBetween

Just another thought:In all of my open cockpit aircraft, I deleted the "viewpoint=2"line from the sound.cfg. sections having it. This makes the exterior sounds default to playing both inside and outside of theopen cockpit; along with maxxed "wind" sounds this makes the flyinga lot more fun!JR

Thankyou very much for taking the time to do this JR, most kind of you.I'll have a read & hopefully I'll understand it.

Thanks, I'll have a look & download it, if it's not too big.

Just thought I'd comment on this sound stuff. The first thing I do when the aircraft "powercurve" is set, is to determine when the individual sounds is supposed to come into play. The usual rpm1-rpm4 sounds.Here is how I usually do it. First I determine at which rpm's the sounds should start, be maxed, and end; something like://17" MP at approx 0.2, first curve should peak at 0.215//25" MP at approx 0.5, second curve should peak at 0.47//30" MP at approx 0.6, third curve should peak at 0.62//32" MP at approx 0.68, fourth curve should start here and grow wildlyFinding the "accurate" numbers is done by trying each sound separately in the sound.cfg file. Then, using excel or any other spreadsheet program, you can "draw" these points to a curve, and modify and match until the overlaps seems just right in FS2002.Since v and rparams has already been discussed I won't go into that, except to mention that it is really hard to get good sounding external rpm sounds without "loop faults", even if the sample plays flawlessly. Especially at higher than normal pitches. Not a problem inside though...